Bo Ryan talks about experience

BoRyan_LK
Accenture Leadership Center kicked off their speaker series with men\’s basketball coach Bo Ryan.[/media-credit]
http://http://vimeo.com/6621599

The Accenture Leadership Center kicked off their 2009-10 school year speaker series with a visit from men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan, who encouraged students to utilize positions of leadership to advance their communities.

Ryan opened his speech with a laugh and kept everyone in good humor as he discussed his background, inspirations and the importance of leadership and teamwork.

“A leader is someone who can get other people to do certain things together and bring people along to help maximize the power of the group,” Ryan said.

The ALC plays an on-campus leadership role at the University of Wisconsin and is a resource center for student organizations within the UW School of Business.

Working closely with the business career center and different corporations, ALC offers workshops and a monthly speaker series, among other events, said Pamela Regalado, junior and student director for ALC.

ALC is the product of a collaboration between Accenture Consulting Firm and the administration of the School of Business, which provides resources to help students become more marketable and acquire their leadership skills, according to Student Director Paul Theine, a senior majoring in finance and real estate.

During his speech, Ryan said when he was drafted into the army in 1969 he realized right away teaching and coaching were what he wanted to do.

As he portrayed his different experiences as a leader to the group, Ryan emphasized the prevalence of challenges and hardships in any leadership role.

However, the importance of helping others and being involved in the community remains an essential and rewarding aspect of leadership, Ryan added.

“If you can, just think for a moment about what it’s like to be able to help the person to your left, to your right and behind you. If you can do that, then you are a leader,” Ryan said.

Sophomore David Grasse said Ryan’s message on leadership and involvement was positive.

“He is more of an old-school guy — he offers a different perspective than what I get on a day-to-day basis,” Grasse said.

Soon to begin his ninth season at UW, Ryan answered many questions pertaining to the basketball team and his experience as a coach.

When asked about his successes and failures, Ryan said he does not feel he has ever had a failure, only “bumps.”

“No. 1, I’ve never had a failure. … There’s always next, there’s something else coming,” Ryan said.

Ryan spoke positively on the upcoming season and emerging leaders on his team but also stressed the importance of the team as a representative of the university.

Ryan described his position and the UW basketball team’s successes as an opportunity to help both the university and charities.

As the last question for the night, Ryan was asked to say a few words to the students as future leaders.

Ryan told students to remain energetic and expressive.

“Just keep searching for something else,” Ryan said.