SSFC: GUTS, Sex Out Loud heard

Two groups, Sex Out Loud and Greater University Tutoring Service, made their pleas to the Student Services Finance Committee Thurs-day in the first eligibility hearing of the year to garner funding for the next two years.

Currently, GUTS receives $143,243 in funding, and Sex Out Loud receives $90,710.

“GUTS and Sex Out Loud have both had funding for a number of years, and to my knowledge they have never been denied funding,” said SSFC Chair Brandon Williams.

According to Amanda Saran, the director of GUTS, the organization has been around since 1974, been eligible for funding since then and has never run into any problems.

In Saran’s appeal to SSFC, she mentioned the group is unique on campus and provides many opportunities to students.

“Given that no other organization on the campus or other office or program offers all these services that GUTS does, it is a necessary service to students,” Saran added.

What makes the group different than just getting help from a teacher’s assistant or professor, according to Saran, is the connection and relationship formed between two students.

“We are not just looking at improving academics but we are looking at undergraduate students helping each other and the connection between them,” Saran said.

She said currently they have 15 staff members and 1,000 volunteers. The various programs they offer include academic match, which puts a tutor with a group of students in similar classes, and conversational English, which connects international students with American students to learn English and culture. Changes for this year include adding two new staff members, as well as expanding operation hours, according to Saran.

“The fact that we have to serve all students at every level — traditionally, it has been a problem to provide for the high-level courses,” Saran said.

Representatives from Sex Out Loud spoke of the accessibility students have to their programs, as well as some new additions that were specifically requested by students.

Taking into consideration student requests, they will include four new additional programs including a birth control program, HIV/AIDS boot camp, LGBT and a “kink” program, according to Sex Out Loud Program Director Stephanie Jones. Sex Out Loud also holds four events throughout the year: “Condoms and Candy,” “World AIDS Week,” “National Condom Week” and “Sexual Health Week.” Jones said they spend most of their time on programs that are available year-round rather than those particular events.

“Another recent change is our new outreach approach; this year, we will be taking a creative approach in contacting new programs and people,” Jones said.

She said that although there is the human sexuality course taught here on campus, it does not offer the same type of information or advising as Sex Out Loud.

“Some students just don’t feel comfortable going to a professor for advice on topics like these,” Jones said.

SSFC will vote on GUTS and Sex Out Loud’s funding eligibility at its Monday meeting.