Violent crimes in downtown still present; no real concern

Since the semester began, the campus area has seen several batteries and one violent robbery — but the Madison Police Department says it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the area has seen more significant crime spikes in the past, and the current level of muggings and violent crime falls below previous crime spikes.

“At this point, we are not sounding the alarm,” DeSpain said. “But we are making sure people are practicing as safe of habits as possible.”

DeSpain said he made Dean of Students Lori Berquam aware of the instances since the city has had some issues with robbery spikes in the past. He said, “It’s better to be proactive,” especially with new students in the area.

Berquam sent out an e-mail to students Sept. 5, warning of recent crime and encouraging good safety habits.

According to MPD incident reports, the immediate campus area has seen only one violent robbery in recent weeks. This occurred Sept. 3 when two female UW students were mugged by two men on the 500 block of West Washington Avenue.

One of the perpetrators simulated possession of a weapon while threatening one of the women, and the other perpetrator grabbed the second woman by the throat. The perpetrators got away with one of the woman’s purses, but neither woman was injured.

Other UW students in the area heard the scream of one of the women and looked up to see two men enter a vehicle and drive off.

University of Wisconsin Police Department Lt. Peter Ystenes said there have been no reports of robberies or aggravated assaults on the campus proper.

The surrounding campus area has also seen a few instances of other robberies and batteries since Sept. 1.

DeSpain said there was more of a significant trend a year or so ago in terms of robberies, and the few seen recently do not have any real pattern, with different suspects for the each of the incidents.

“There have been times in the past when [robberies] have been cranked up, but we are not at that level right now,” DeSpain added.

Some criminals will target student residences when they know the students will not be home.

For example, DeSpain pointed to instances in which a criminal will see a laptop or other valuable item in a window, cut the screen and lift the item without ever entering the residence.

Even so, DeSpain emphasized locking doors as a significant safety tip.

Berquam’s e-mail asked students to be extra careful, adding, “In the wake of these incidents, I’m asking everyone to integrate safe habits into their everyday lives.”

Berquam’s message also gave personal safety tips, which include walking in groups, locking doors and windows even while home, drinking in moderations so as to not put oneself at an increased risk, carrying a cell phone and not letting unknown people into dormitories or apartments.