Sweeney Profile: A look at new faculty members at UW

Sweeny_LK
Vince Sweeney will be working closely with Chancellor Biddy Martin in his new job as vice chancellor.[/media-credit]

After a month in his new position as the first ever vice chancellor for university relations, former Senior Associate Athletic Director Vince Sweeney has begun to pioneer the brand new branch of University Relations for the University of Wisconsin.

Charged with establishing an entirely new office and position in the UW administration, Sweeney says he has been in numerous listening sessions with constituent parts of the university relations office, which include university communications, community relations, state relations, office of corporate relations and the visitor and information program.

“I have a lot to learn. It is a complex operation, but I am beginning to get my hands around it,” Sweeney said.

Describing one of his main roles in his new position as building and fostering important relationships at the community and state levels, Sweeney said he has been working diligently from day one to build and strengthen those relationships.

By developing these relationships throughout the year, Sweeney said he hopes state legislators will have a strong and favorable view of the university when budget time rolls around.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam said she believes the contacts Sweeney has made in over 30 years with the university will position him to do just that.

“He has had many numerous contacts in the community and on campus and I think that will serve him well and serve us well,” Berquam said.

As the national economy continues to slide, fundraising and budget continue to top the list of pressing issues that require expedient address. By fostering key relationships and controlling the messages coming out of the university, Sweeney plans to set the table for prosperous fundraising steps over the coming years.

“Right now the economy is certainly in a place where we are all looking for the next great idea; a way in which to channel energy, foster development and growth and new ideas, and I think that will be one of the roles of [Sweeney’s] position,” Berquam said.

Even before Sweeney has solidified his position and strategic framework for his new role, the threat of the H1N1 virus on campus will require immediate and comprehensive address by the university relations office, he said.

“It’s going to be a big deal and communication is a key component,” Sweeney said. “We’re going to be tested early even though we don’t have our systems in place and up and running yet.”

He added the process of information sharing is already underway regarding the H1N1 virus, sharing information with students and parents as they move in.

Sweeney will also be playing a key role in the implementation of the Madison Initiative. According to Berquam, it is important that UW is making connections with the legislation and with our colleagues in the Board of Regents so everyone understands along with students what we are doing and why we are doing it, Berquam said.

Chancellor Biddy Martin could not be reached for comment due to illness.