School of Med vice dean warns of ‘resource poor’ UW in provost presentation

Presentations continued Thursday afternoon for the provost position as Paul DeLuca Jr., current vice dean and associate dean for research and graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, argued the university needs to reach for new sources of funding to maintain the quality of education in a time of economic crisis.

DeLuca said his number one goal if selected for the position will be to improve the university’s “achievement of excellence.”??

“[The achievement of excellence] is exactly?what distinguishes this institution from virtually any comparable institution,” he said. “The achievement of excellence has somewhat degraded. We’re not at the level that we could be. Restoration for that commitment is something that needs to happen. The bar needs to go up.”??

DeLuca added the economic crisis is creating serious issues for the university, and will ultimately create a “resource poor” situation.?

He added the only way in which to solve the dilemma will be to increase fundraising and efficiency.?

“We’re going to have to make every effort to increase our revenue stream to accomplish what we need to,” DeLuca said. “It’s very often that we find the status quo won’t work. If you look at our infrastructure systems there are things that need to fundamentally change.”??

Many of those in attendance asked DeLuca how he would work to improve the level of “excellence” he continued referring to, including how he would involve himself with the Madison Initiative, the expansion of the Wisconsin Idea and general administrative and educational problems within the university.??

While DeLuca was not able to provide specific solutions for each question, he reminded the audience he would work hard to solve the various daily and long-term concerns facing the university.?

“I’m deeply committed to greatness,” he added. “I get up in the morning and wonder what I can do to make something more exceptional, and I think this is an opportunity to do that.”?

Richard Moss, chair of the Department of Physiology in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health will conclude the presentations June 1.??