UW selects finalists for provost position

The University of Wisconsin announced the finalists for the position of provost this afternoon.

Included are three internal candidates: Paul DeLuca, vice dean and associate dean for research and graduate studies at the School of Medicine and Public Health; Irwin Goldman, vice dean and associate dean for research at the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; and Richard Moss, chair of the department of physiology at the School of Medicine and Public Health.

Interviews should be completed by early June and will be conducted by a team of administrators and students, including Chancellor Biddy Martin and representatives from the Associated Students of Madison, the Wisconsin Alumni Association, the UW Foundation and the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation.

The job was left open after former Provost Patrick Farrell left the position in December 2008. Farrell stepped down as a part of Martin’s realignment of senior positions after she took over as chancellor in September 2008.

Farrell took the position of provost and vice president of academic affairs at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. earlier this month.

The UW provost position is currently being filled in the interim by Julie Underwood, dean of the School of Education, who has said she did not want to be considered for the position on a permanent basis.

UW will schedule public presentations for each of the candidates, according to a university statement.