Several men rob, assault victim on Langdon Street

A Van Dyne man was robbed and brutally attacked by three strangers early Sunday morning on his way to Langdon Street, according to a Madison Police Department incident report released Tuesday.

The victim, 20, was walking from State Street to Langdon Street when a voice behind him demanded money, said MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

“He heard someone behind him say, ‘Give me your money,'” DeSpain said. “[The victim] turns and gets whacked in the face by a punch. The problem is I don’t think he was clear as to where he was.”

According to DeSpain, the victim was knocked to the ground after the first perpetrator threw a closed-fisted punch to his face.

The attackers then proceed to continually kick the man on the ground and stomped on his hands, DeSpain said. After one of the perpetrators took the victim’s wallet, they fled the scene.

An MPD dispatcher received a call at 12:37 a.m. reporting an in-progress fight near Langdon Street and reported to the scene, DeSpain added. The victim sustained two deep cuts to his head, which he had stapled, and face bruises.

According to an incident report, the perpetrators were black males between 6 feet and 6 feet 5 inches tall.

“This is a type of very violent incident that concerns me greatly with the downtown,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Verveer said these types of robberies were more common in the campus area a few years ago — especially in 2006 when there was a huge rash of robberies during the early morning, after bar time.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said it is good to refresh safety practices, but unfortunately safety procedures are often revisited in time of tragedy.