Promised cash may not come

About 7,700 University of Wisconsin System students will receive an average of $310 less than expected in their financial aid package for the next school year, based on a Thursday vote by the Joint Finance Committee.

The vote removed Gov. Jim Doyle’s proposal to increase funds for the Wisconsin Higher Education Grants by $8 million in the 2009-10 budget and again in the 2010-11 budget.

If passed, the budget would remain flat for the 2009-10 and increase by $3.3 million from 2010-11.

The WHEG grant — the largest source of financial aid in Wisconsin — is granted to 27,000 UW System students.

According to UW System spokesperson David Giroux, between 20,000 and 30,000 students systemwide who receive WHEG grants will not get the increase that would have been possible had the governor’s budget remained in effect.

The change will directly affect 2,900 UW students, UW Financial Aid Director Susan Fischer said.

Giroux added the short-term impact of the JFC’s vote is more unique than the broader impact.

According to Giroux, about 7,700 students who are planning to enroll in the fall have received a preliminary notice informing them that the addition $310 of financial aid would be included in their financial aid package.

“This is the time of year students are making decisions of where to go, and one of the big things that factors in is the amount of financial aid provided by each school, and so it’s customary for colleges and universities across the country to begin packaging that info as early as March,” Giroux said.

Giroux added between now and the fall semester the System must inform those 7,700 students that they will receive $310 dollars less than originally planned.

“I am a little disappointed in the JFC,” Fischer said. “Here we have a Democratic Assembly and Senate and governor who backed the increase and Higher Education Aids Board that backed the increase. … It’s highly unusual to see a committee like this not be in-step with its own governor,” Fischer said.

Fischer added the financial aid office plans to continue to award students the $310 “in good faith” that the bill will be changed to increase funding for the WHEG.

Fischer added UW does not plan on sending out more information until the bill is passed.

“We’re in a game of chicken here,” Fischer said. “Maybe the JFC will reconsider, and if not, we’ll give our new package.”

According to Fischer, the school must develop a new formula to develop the package if the new proposal sticks.

From here, the proposal goes to each of the two legislative houses and then to the governor before it is passed, Giroux said.

“There’s still an opportunity for change, but the context is important,” Giroux said. “The state is facing an incredible financial crisis and legislatures are making very tough decisions with limited resources. We’re not sure whether or not to expect this to change for the better or not — it’s a very tough situation.”