Censorship leads paper to shut down

Concern from university officials about liberal content published in a student newspaper at Cedarville University, a Baptist school outside Dayton, Ohio, caused the publication’s editors to suspend publication for the remainder of the semester.

Cedars Managing Editor Joshua Saunders said drama began in the seventh issue of the biweekly paper regarding an opinion article that applauded the election of President Barack Obama.

Saunders added the school disproved of other liberal articles regarding homosexuality and abortion.

The final decision to suspend the paper occurred when administrators asked the paper to publish an issue with requested content.

“We’re not here to put out a [public relations] piece,” Saunders said. “Putting out a publication to please a specific audience is undermining the goal of the student newspaper.”

In lieu of the 10th and final edition of the student paper, the staff decided to publish a letter to the student body voicing its concerns, excerpts of which were printed in the magazine Christianity Today.

“Review by the public-relations department undermines our ability to think critically and engage culture,” the excerpt read. “We grieve the loss of free expression and healthy discourse once found in your newspaper, traits that ought to characterize all vibrant institutions of higher learning.”

Carl Ruby, vice president for student life at Cedarville University responded to the student letter with an e-mail to the student body, Christianity Today reported.

“Finding the right balance of freedom of expression is difficult, especially in the context of a community of believers who voluntarily give up some of our freedoms for the sake of our shared mission,” Ruby said. “This has been a difficult arrangement, both for the students and for our staff in public relations, and we recognize that it probably isn’t the most ideal approach to editorial oversight for the future.”

Saunders said he sees a positive future for the paper and its relationship with the school. The paper will begin print again next semester.

Bascom Hall administrators have no oversight or influence on the content of either student daily newspapers at the University of Wisconsin, since both are independent of the university.