City officials split over plan to raze old homes

Landmark_BB
Madison\’s Landmarks Commission chose to not endorse the new buildings.[/media-credit]
The Landmarks Com-mission voted against a development and restoration project for the Tenney-Lapham Neighborhood in Madison Monday night, citing concerns about the loss of old buildings and the size of their replacements.

The plan would restore eight historical buildings along East Gorham Street and replace 11 buildings along East Johnson Street with three apartment complexes.

Although the Tenney-Lapham Neighborhood Commission voted in favor of the proposal at their meeting last week, some members of the Landmark Commission voiced con-cerns about the loss of 11 largely intact homes dating from 1853-1927.

The three proposed apartment complexes would include 83 housing units of varying sizes and one underground parking area that would hold approximately 112 vehicles, according to architect Randy Bruce of Knothe & Bruce Architects who was speaking on behalf of Renaissance Property Group and the Stone House Development, the developers of the project.

Although the commission ultimately voted against the project, the Landmarks Commission staff report submitted last week stated none of the 11 homes slated for demolition are designated landmarks and the houses have been extensively altered by past owners.

Although the Landmarks Commission does not have a final say regarding the fate of the District 2 project, their recommendation will be submitted and taken into consideration by the Plan Commission at their meeting on May 4. If the proposal is approved by the commission, it can go to the City Council as early as May 5.

According to Ald.-elect Bridget Maniaci, District 2, residents put in a great deal of time and effort to alter the project so it would be passed by the Tenney-Lapham Neighborhood Commission.

“I’m here to bring the project forward, and on this (proposal) the neighborhood has spoken,” Manaici said. “I know passing it wasn’t easy, but they worked hard and I want to help make [the project] a reality.”

Maniaci, who lives across the street from the proposed development, said she, like most of the neighborhood, was not supportive of the original plans.

However, Maniaci said the developers did a good job listening to residents and the new plans reflect many alterations community members requested.

Despite concerns re-garding the size of the proposed apartment build-ings, Maniaci said they would not be out of place in the neighborhood.

“If you look at what else has been happening in surrounding neighbor-hoods, these plans are not out of context.” Maniaci said.

However, Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2, expressed concern about the project, saying there was still a great deal of disagreement within the neighborhood.

Konkel said the area behind proposed buildings is a national historic district. She said she was concerned the new development would not fit with the style of the rest of the neighborhood.

“My concern goes beyond just this project. This block is pretty much intact, and it’s a series of 1800’s houses,” Konkel said. “I don’t know where else you’ll find them in Madison.”

If the project was approved by the Plan Commission and the City Council, Rich Arnesen, vice president of Stone House Developers, said work would begin in mid-August and be finished in the summer of 2010.