Campus escapes damage from brush fires

Fire_RM
Firefighters contained small brush fires near the Lakeshore Path within an hour of being dispatched to the scene Wednesday.[/media-credit]

Several small brush fires between the Elizabeth Waters Residence Hall and the Social Sciences building were extinguished Wednesday afternoon after burning for about 45 minutes.

According to Madison Fire Department spokesperson Bernadette Galvez, fire trucks were dispatched at 3:51 p.m. to Observatory Drive and Charter Street on the University of Wisconsin campus.

Galvez said Engine 1 was dispatched and by the time Engine 4 reached the scene, the fires had been contained, and the truck’s assistance was no longer needed.

While she was unsure of the exact reach of the fires, she said they were small and contained to grassy areas. No persons or property were damaged.

“I know the investigators were out there looking at what started it, but nobody got hurt, none of the buildings caught on fire,” Galvez said. “It stayed relatively small.”

UW sophomore and Liz Waters resident Megan Shiroda said she was at a campfire pit near the building when she smelled smoke around 4 p.m.

“You could really smell the smoke,” Shiroda said. “The air was smoky in between Liz and Social Sci. People were really paying attention.”

She added the fire trucks arrived on the scene soon after she smelled fire and they appeared to drive right up to the source of the smoke.

Firefighters were cleared to leave the scene at 4:43 p.m. As of press time, Galvez said it was still unknown what the cause of the fire was, though further details may be released today.

“These fires can start from matches, maybe from cigarettes, but people have to be careful now because the grass surface is dry and there’s leaves,” Galvez said.

She added there were several brush fires in the Madison area Wednesday, all clustered around the same time during the day. Fire fighters were also dispatched to the East Town area at approximately the same time.

She said the East Town area fire was caused by children playing with matches.

Galvez again noted that no one was hurt and if people are careful, these types of fires can be successfully prevented.