WAA plans to help alumni network, get jobs

The Wisconsin Alumni Association is looking to help University of Wisconsin alumni find jobs in their specified fields by developing a Badger Career Network Alerts system designed to help former Badgers connect more easily with job recruiters.

Companies looking to employ will contact the WAA with job descriptions and hiring criteria. The WAA would then search the directory for alumni registered in the program and match qualified alumni to the jobs.

“This would not be a program for students, but for alumni who have had significant experience in their chosen field,” said Gina Evans, careers and corporate relations specialist for the WAA.

The Badger Career Network Alerts system is still in the testing phase, according to Evans, though it has successfully worked to connect several alumni with companies in health care and biotech industries thus far.

“Both [of the industries] still have numerous hiring needs even in this economic environment,” Evans said. “We are sending it out to a limited group in order to make sure the employer side of the process works smoothly.”

The system was inspired by an increasing need for qualified job candidates to fill higher-level positions, voiced by a variety of job recruiters in the state over the past couple of years, Evans added.

Since the WAA has connections with over 300,000 alumni, Evans said the group was in a “unique position” to help both alumni and job recruiters in the state.

“We decided to implement this program to help our local companies attract our alumni but also as a service to our alums who may find themselves in a time of transition, especially with all the reorganizations and layoffs happening in the country,” Evans said.

Evans added the group feels responsible to help such alumni in need during today’s economic climate.

UW senior Nathan Fuller said he’s happy the WAA is responding to the competitive job market and the increase in layoffs across the state.

“I think it is very beneficial to have any sort of outlet or connection to help you out,” Fuller said. “I think it’s beneficial because you can only rely so heavily on family connections, and with today’s economy to have a whole other network of people in similar fields helping you get in touch with someone is really going to help you get that extra step into the job force.”

Fuller added he would personally sign up to use the service and encourages others to do so as well.

“Even if it just gives you two more e-mail contacts, in today’s economy, you’re going to need as many as you can get.” Fuller said. “There’s no reason not to get more assistance.”

Although the project has successfully connected several alumni it is not complete. The WAA projects the project will be fully implemented for alumni to sign up for the services at the end of this summer.