Falk beats Mistele in landslide

FALK_KB
Kathleen Falk celebrates her election to a fourth term with supporters at the Great Dane Tuesday.[/media-credit]
Kathleen Falk will serve a fourth term as Dane County executive after winning Tuesday’s election by a comfortable margin of votes.

Falk, who collected about 58 percent of the vote, said she is grateful to have won the support of the majority of county citizens.

“People of Dane County spoke and affirmed I’ve been doing 12 years of work to move the county forward,” Falk said.

Falk said she plans to put a lot of the agendas discussed throughout her campaign into action.

The implementation of manure digesters is an $18 million project Falk is currently working on. She said the digesters will not only prevent waste buildup on farms, but they will also prevent algae form blooming in Dane County lakes, improving the quality of the environment in Dane County.

Additionally, the manure digesters will bring jobs to the county in these tough economic times, Falk said.

Also mentioned was Falk’s plan to improve public safety by reducing the destruction caused by alcohol abuse.

After coming up with a five-point plan, Falk says she is currently collaborating with a commission to reach this goal.

“I work very hard on issues facing us such as getting good jobs, clean energy and public harm caused by the abuse of alcohol,” Falk said. “People respond to the same value and agenda.”

Regarding her opponent Nancy Mistele, who is described as the more conservative of the two candidates, Falk said the election results show what policy people want to see enacted.

Mistele was just short of collecting 42 percent of the vote, performing the best in rural areas throughout the county.

Regarding her loss, Mistele said she is not very pleased with the results of the election.

“When you’re in war, you have to know how to battle,” Mistele added.

Once the votes in Madison were totaled, the returns began to go south for Mistele.

However, Mistele said she is happy she politically charged citizens and brought people to the polls.

Had she taken office, Mistele wanted to install interoperable radios where police, fire and emergency medical system employees could communicate with one another on the same radio wire.

But though the campaign has come to an end, Mistele said she will still remain active in the community.

“I am a small business owner running small business, but I will certainly be keeping and eye on things,” Mistele said. “I am a citizen activist.”

Mistele did not completely lack confidence in Falk, though she is confident they will not be communicating ideas in the near future.

“It depends on how things shake out and how thing happen right now,” Mistele said. “Very few people get to talk to the county executive directly, and I doubt she’ll be taking my calls.”