UW on track to get NCAA recertification

NCAA_BB
A presentation was made Tuesday detailing the ways in which UW is in compliance with NCAA regulations in time for its recertification this fall.[/media-credit]

University of Wisconsin faculty and staff presented the preliminary results of a self-study of the athletic department Tuesday, which suggest the university is on track to receive NCAA recertification this fall.

Presentations focused on findings included in a self-study report, which was the product of the work of a steering committee and several subcommittees that examined the current practices and policies of the athletic department.

According to Darrell Bazzell, steering committee chair and vice chancellor for administration, ensuring compliance with operating principles set forth by the NCAA is absolutely necessary.

“I think it’s critical with a large athletic department that’s so visible,” Bazzell said. “This is that once-every-10-year opportunity to really take an in-depth look at how you stack up with respect to those principles and so far it looks like [in the report] we’re in pretty good shape.”

While the committees were partially comprised of athletic department members, faculty and staff from other departments within the university also played a major role in their work.

“It’s a very long and arduous process, and the thing I really liked about it is it was a process that was driven outside of the athletic department by the staff and faculty on the campus … who provided a fresh, objective look at their operation, and I think that’s a very healthy thing,” Bazzell said.

The certification process focuses on governance and commitment to rule compliance, academic integrity and gender, diversity and student-athlete well being.

David Zimmerman, chair of the governance and commitment to rules compliance subcommittee, emphasized the department takes a proactive policy in regards to instating rules for student athletes.

He also said the athletic board currently has a focus on fiscal integrity, which is especially important because of the large nature of UW’s athletic program.

“This is by no means a small time operation,” Zimmerman said. “There is a budget of $85 million. It could easily go to three figures relatively soon, so the institutional control is particularly important… .”

Dale Bjorling, chair of the academic integrity subcommittee, spoke on the intricacies of academic services offered to student athletes. He addressed a common concern that athletes are given special treatment, saying NCAA rules actually require them to provide a lot of extra services so athletes remain academically competitive.

Sheila McGuirk, chair of the gender, diversity and student-athlete well-being subcommittee, said it was found the university consistently maintains balance on issues such as gender and diversity.

“We have adopted a formal process … to search and advertise open positions with an eye on reaching more women and minorities and improving access to training and development opportunities once staff have been hired,” McGuirk said.

UW must complete its self-study and submit its report to the NCAA by May 1. The NCAA will send an external team to campus this fall to conduct a three-day evaluation.

UW’s certification was last impacted in 2001, when it was uncovered UW athletes had received a discount at a shoe store in the “Shoe Box scandal.” The university’s full rights and privileges have since been restored.