RecycleMania ‘takes out trash’

Trash_KF
Volunteers sift through bags of trash from University Residence Halls at Library Mall Sunday.[/media-credit]

The recycling initiative RecycleMania culminated Sunday with coordinators and volunteers sifting through piles of trash on Library Mall gathered from university dorms to gauge the success of the 10-week nationwide event.

Organized by the Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group and Conservation and Recycling Efforts, event participants separated trash from recyclable and “compostable” waste in an effort to illuminate residence hall-dwellers’ recycling tendencies and raise public awareness about the importance of recycling on campus.

With 66.5 pounds of trash and 25.5 pounds of recyclable and compostable materials in the sample, event coordinators deemed RecycleMania a huge success.

“In our trash sort, the bags o’ trash consisted only of 27.7 percent recyclables! How great is that? 72 percent was garbage! That’s pretty darn good,” event coordinator Melissa Flores said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald.

Previous years’ numbers have almost always been over 50 percent, said Devin Trezise, WISPIRG visibility chair and event organizer.

“One of the goals was to have it be a public visibility event,” Trezise said. “And I think we definitely achieved that. People were walking by and commenting and getting involved.”

But it was not a clean job, according to Teddy Schober, CARE member and event coordinator.

“There was a moment when we had to ask, is that blood? We determined it wasn’t, but it was still pretty gross at times,” he said.

Dedicated to their cause, participants dug through the grit and grime hoping to see a reduction in the number of recyclables in with the trash, Flores said.

In a departure from last year, organizers decided to participate in the benchmark division of the event instead of the national competition division. Rather than encompassing the entire campus, the event focused specifically on the dorms this year.

“Our thought process was that most of the new students coming into college are going to be living in residence halls. They’re open to new ideas, they’re fresh out of high school, many of them are living on their own for the first time. It seemed like a really good target audience,” Trezise explained.

Another advantage to focusing specifically on residence halls was the involvement of University Housing officials, Trezise said. He commended University Housing on their displayed interest in improving environmental practices within the dorms.

“They had a huge impact on the success this year versus last year,” Trezise said.

Recognizing a possible deterrent to students who recycle in the dorms, event coordinator Annie Johnson said, “I think a lot of people in the dorms feel like they can’t recycle their beer cans and stuff because you’re not supposed to be drinking there.”

She went on to assure residents this does not seem like something they need to worry about. She said she has never heard of anyone getting into trouble for recycling alcohol containers in the dorms, as no one can tell where they originated from.

“Recycling is the easiest way to reduce your environmental impact,” Flores said. “Around campus it’s so easy to just throw everything in the garbage bins, but if you just take a second to think about it you can really help the environment.”