Police catch likely robber

A man alleged to be the “Parka Bandit” linked to a series of armed robberies throughout the city was arrested by the Madison Police Department Sunday afternoon for drug possession.

According to an MPD news release, Sgt. Chris Paulson was driving his car near the intersection of Park Street and Wingra Drive when he spotted Justin Simpson, 20, wearing a black, puffy parka. Paulson approached Simpson, and following a clothing search, a fake handgun was found in Simpson’s possession, the report added. The coat and fake gun match the description of those used by the Parka Bandit.

Heroin was also recovered during the search.

“Simpson was arrested for drug possession and has since confessed involvement to three recent armed robberies: two that occurred at the Shell gas station, 4821 E. Washington Ave., and one that happened this past weekend at the Pinkus McBride Market, 301 N. Hamilton St.,” according to the release.

Simpson allegedly entered the Pinkus McBride Market around 11:40 p.m. Saturday night. He pointed a handgun at the clerk and demanded an undisclosed amount of money, according to the incident report. He was wearing a puffy, black winter jacket with the hood tied tightly around his face.

The most recent robbery at the Shell gas station on East Washington Avenue occurred March 4. Simpson allegedly entered the store, pointed his handgun at the clerk and stole an undisclosed amount of money. During the robbery, the bandit was also wearing his black parka with the hood tied around his face, Sgt. Jennifer Krueger Favour of the MPD previously told The Badger Herald.

No injuries occurred in any of the incidents.

MPD Sgt. Kelly Donahue said a team of detectives is currently working to see if Simpson was involved in some of the other crimes linked to the Parka Bandit. According to the release, the detectives are continuing to question Simpson.

“It is unknown how many crimes he could be involved in,” Donahue said.

In the past week, the MPD established a massive search to help locate the person or persons involved in this series of robberies, the release added. Paulson was on the street Sunday as part of the effort.

Additionally, K-9 units have been used to track the bandit. However, the bandit’s trail could no longer be sensed, which indicates the use of a getaway car. This could mean an accomplice is involved with the robberies as well, said Joel DeSpain, MPD spokesperson, in a previous interview with The Badger Herald.

“[The Parka Bandit] is usually in there for 10 to 15 seconds. He points the gun but never shoots the gun. He demands the money, takes the money, then takes off,” DeSpain added.

Donahue said the MPD is unwilling to comment further about the pending investigation.

Persons with any information regarding the Parka Bandit or other crime in the downtown area are advised to call Madison Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.