Guster to headline annual 10,000 Hours Show

Guster fans who volunteer will be in luck April 29 when the band performs a free concert at the University of Wisconsin’s Memorial Union for people who have volunteered at least 10 hours throughout the past year.

The band will headline the 10,000 Hours Show spring concert, an annual event awarding community members who log at least 10 hours of volunteering in a year through 10K’s website.

“Our mission is to recruit, reward and retain volunteers,” said 10K marketing director Megan Miller. “The idea is to have a generation of young people who are committed to volunteering and have it be something valued throughout their life.”

Miller said the concert offers important recognition for volunteers, who often go unrewarded for all of their work.

She went on to say the event provides a networking opportunity for volunteers.

“There’s that common bond between everyone in the audience, which is kind of unique,” Miller said.

The concert will be part of the Guster Campus Consciousness Tour, which is both a concert tour and environmental campaign.

The tour is a part of Guster’s non-profit environmental organization, Reverb, which promotes environmental sustainability for touring bands, according to their website.

According to Matt Wessale, a coordinator of Big Red Go Green, which is co-sponsoring the event, the concert will be accompanied by a panel discussion with lead singer Adam Gardner and an environmental village that allows students to learn about the latest environmental innovations.

The panel and village will be open and free to everyone on campus.

“Guster is one of the most green bands around you’re going to find,” Wessale said. “It’s an environmental band hosting an environmental concert.”

While they are co-hosting the event with 10K and We Conserve, Wessale said Big Red Go Green will be using the event to promote environmental work being done at the state Legislature.

10K is an annual event in the Dane County area. Robert Randall and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah previously headlined the concert.

Students interested in obtaining a ticket should logon to www.10000hoursmadison.org by April 1 to log their hours.