City commission approves new downtown complex

Plannin_BB
Architect David Ferch presents the design plans for the proposed building at 425 W. Washington Ave.[/media-credit]

The Madison Plan Commission unanimously approved a new development to be built in the Bassett Neighborhood Monday, which will include a health center and apartment complex.

According to architect David Ferch of Ferch Architecture, who designed the project, the new building to be located at 425 W. Washington Ave. will include Capitol Health Center, enough apartments to hold 60 to 70 people, a small retail space, underground parking and an optometry office.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he supports the project because the building site, currently a vacant lot, is underutilized and the development will bring many useful amenities to the downtown area.

The new health center will include an indoor swimming pool, which is a facility many residents want, according to Verveer. There is no pool for those under the age of 50 in the downtown area, he added.

Some of the housing on West Washington Avenue is being demolished due to its age, Verveer said, adding the new development will help fill the need for affordable housing in the neighborhood.

Jonathon Cooper, member of the Steering Committee for the project, said some community members have protested the project because the proposed five-story building would be taller and more massive than any of the other buildings in the Bassett Neighborhood.

Most of the buildings in the Bassett Neighborhood are only two or three stories tall.

Although some residents felt the new building would not fit with the neighborhood’s overall design, a recent minor re-design design has allayed many of these fears, Cooper said.

Ferch said the fifth story will now be set back so pedestrians will barely be able to see it from the street.

“I guess if we’re going to have a fifth floor, this is as good as it’s going to get,” Cooper said.

In addition, Ferch said he implemented the style of the surrounding buildings into the design of the new development to make it match the historic character of the rest of the neighborhood.

John Bonsett-Veal, who bought the building site 20 years ago, is working with developer Erik Minton to create the complex.

According to Minton, having a building house a wide variety of establishments in a central area is both a practical and environmentally friendly use of the space, especially because the businesses are condensed into a single site.

Bonsett-Veal said construction of the site will begin as soon as he and Minton receive the green light from the Madison City Council.

Bonsett-Veal, who has practiced optometry in Madison for over 28 years, said he will relocate his optometry office to the top section of the new building.

“I’ve driven by the site for the past five years and I’ve always thought it’s underutilized,” Basset Neighborhood community member Justin Carter said. “I strongly approve of the project.”

The project will go before the Madison City Council March 17 for a final vote of approval.