Doyle’s budget could cost UW

Members of the University of Wisconsin System and the Wisconsin Legislature are teaming up to fight Gov. Jim Doyle’s proposal to reserve the right to use some private university money to help stabilize the state budget.

The governor’s proposal will allow for $10.7 million to be taken from UW System funds collected from private gifts and donations. The money could then be placed in the state’s general fund to be used for statewide debts and projects upon the governor’s request.

According to Mike Mikalsen, spokesperson for Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, government officials claim they have no intention of using the money taken from the UW System private fund.

“The governor is stealing UW money and using it for purposes it’s not meant for,” Mikalsen said. “They say they have no intention of grabbing that money, but if that’s the case then why are they putting the language in the budget, and why are they opposed to taking it out?”

According to UW System spokesperson David Giroux, UW-Madison will be affected the most. Giroux added UW receives the most gifts and grants and would be expected to give nearly 60 percent of the fund’s donations.

In a brief interview with The Badger Herald, Doyle’s spokesperson Lee Sensenbrenner said the claims made by Nass were “wrong,” and the governor has no intention of taking from gifts and donations. Sensenbrenner would not comment further on Mikalsen’s statements.

“You’re seeing the UW System run for cover. They attack back, but the facts are the facts and the system is now getting stuck with the fact their budget contains all sorts of horrible policies,” Mikalsen said.

Giroux added the administration has often said one thing to the media and then done exactly the opposite in legislation or operation of state agencies.

Mikalsen added taking money from gift and grant funds is unprecedented, though this is not the first time Doyle’s administration has taken similar actions with other UW System funds to help support the state’s budget.

“They have taken the better part of $3 billion for different accounts, and it’s occurred with this government that has relied solely on gimmicks and tricks and being dishonest,” Mikalsen said.

Mikalsen added money has been “stolen” from line items such as dormitory fees, transportation accounts and auxiliary accounts and used for different parts of the state budget.

If the proposal is passed by the Legislature, Mikalsen said he predicts UW donations will dramatically decrease.

“When individuals find out it will have a huge affect on future fundraising efforts for the UW system schools,” Mikalsen said.

Nass will be working with his colleagues and the UW System to create an amendment to the budget, according to Mikalsen.

“The system and Rep. Nass have not always agreed, but when you’ve got the system and Nass standing in the same position we’ve got a problem,” Mikalsen said.

The governor’s proposal will be discussed at the UW System fBoard of Regents meeting today.

Giroux said they will be doing whatever they can to state their case.

The final budget will be sent to the Legislature for approval in April.