Candidate gets mayoral boost

District 8 candidate Bryon Eagon announced Monday he has received the endorsement of Mayor Dave Cieslewicz in the Madison City Council race.

Eagon is a University of Wisconsin junior majoring in political science and communication arts.

“Bryon Eagon has all the tools needed to be a great alder. He’s bright, works hard, understands his district and cares deeply about the people he will represent,” Cieslewicz said in a statement. “Bryon will be a strong voice for students on the City Council. I know he’ll have my attention and my respect on day one.”

Mayor Cieslewicz also said he believes Eagon will be successful in representing students, since the constituents of District 8 are primarily UW students.

Eagon said he was excited about the mayor’s endorsement.

“I am proud to have the support of Mayor Dave and look forward to working with him on student issues in Madison,” Eagon said.

Eagon added the endorsement shows the mayor is realistically addressing issues in Madison, especially those that affect students.

Eagon’s opponent, UW student Mark Woulf, could not be reached for comment.

Eagon beat Woulf in the city’s primary election held in February. Eagon took nearly 50 percent of the vote, for a total of 263 votes, while Woulf received just more than 22 percent of the vote, for a total of 117 votes.

The winner of the election will replace current District 8 Ald. Eli Judge, a UW senior who plans to graduate in May and move on to law school. Judge has yet to endorse a candidate.

Judge is well known for his downtown residential lighting initiative, aimed at improving safety in the downtown area by providing grants to residents to install lights on the sides and backs of buildings.

To help improve safety in the campus and downtown areas, Eagon wants to focus on neighborhood watch programs. In addition, he plans on addressing issues with the homeless and poverty throughout the city.

Woulf plans to focus on student issues, including alcohol policy and making changes to the annual Mifflin Street Block Party.

The District 8 election will be held April 7.