Challenger for Doyle emerges

With mounting financial support from various businesses and politicians, Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker is starting to look like the Republican challenger for the 2010 gubernatorial race.

Walker raised $413,000 in donations last year, with over $270,000 coming from private parties and businesses that plan to back him if he chooses to run.

Although Walker has declined to comment about his possible run in 2010, he traveled to Washington D.C. Monday where he was invited to attend the Republican Governor’s Association meeting.

“I haven’t set a timeline on anything because we need to focus our time and energy on fixing the economy,” Walker said regarding his possible candidacy.

In an e-mail to The Badger Herald, Kirsten Kukowski, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, expressed the party’s approval of Walker.

“Walker walked into a poorly run county with a pension scandal and has since served to keep taxes under control while keeping services high and the budget in check,” she wrote. “Which gives him perfect experience to take over the mess Doyle will leave.”

According to Kukowski, the next governor of Wisconsin will be faced with a large deficit due to Gov. Doyle’s actions in office and will be forced to make the tough decisions that Gov. Jim Doyle has ignored.

In addition to party support, Walker may seek approval from former Governor Tommy Thompson. Thompson has held a close working relationship with Walker for years.

According to Walker, he and Thompson were part of a Harley ride around the state to promote Summerfest, the State Fair, Miller Park and tourism.

Despite strong Republican support, Walker has received a negative reception from his Democratic counterparts.

Alec Loftus, communications director for the democratic party of Wisconsin, said he does think Walker is “a classic George W. Bush Republican,” who will revert to the same policies the former president utilized.

“We are in the midst of a national economic crisis and amazingly Walker is against using any federal dollars to create new jobs or projects in Wisconsin,” Loftus said. “Instead, Walker wants to use the money on gimmicks like a temporary state sales tax holiday that would be impossible under the law and would not create a single job in Wisconsin.”

Loftus added while Walker has served in Milwaukee County residents, the parks have suffered and the budget has been left in ruins.

“How is Walker fit to lead the state if he can’t even run his own county?” Loftus asked.

Currently, Gov. Jim Doyle has not announced any plans regarding a possible re-election bid in 2010, although he raised about $600,000 during the second half of 2008 and has more than $1 million in cash on hand, according to a budget statement released at the beginning of the month.

According to Kukowski, another possible Republican candidate for governor is former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann, though he too has not announced any plans to formally enter the race.

The Republican Party of Wisconsin has not decided to endorse a candidate yet but plans to at their state convention in May 2010.