Doyle proposes closing DMVs, switching services online

Gov. Jim Doyle’s proposal to create more online Department of Motor Vehicle services and close 40 Wisconsin DMV centers may dramatically change the way citizens get their drivers’ licenses.

According to Patrick Fernan, DMV operations manager, the facilities that would close under the proposal only operate one day a week and accounted for only about 3 percent of last year’s total business.

Even with the closures, Fernan added almost all Wisconsin residents would still be less than 50 miles from a DMV center.

Though the change would save the state only about $750,000 in two years, supporters of the plan argue even small cuts like this are necessary to help alleviate the $5.9 billion budget shortfall Wisconsin is expected to face over the next two years, Fernan said.

“We really need to make some changes, and by making small cuts across the board, we may not have to make large cuts in other areas,” said Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison.

The governor also outlined a proposal for an online DMV that would allow customers to change the address listed on their title, license plate and drivers’ license as well as renew their license plate, book a road test and replace a missing license, according to Fernan.

Fernan added that if passed, the online system would be operational by 2010.

Black said he is optimistic about the future of the online program, saying it could save the state approximately $25 million a year.

“The online service will have its initial costs, but over time I think those costs will be more than made up for in the money it saves the state,” Black said.

However, many legislators, including Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbottsford, say that a large number of their constituents could suffer from such a change.

“Doyle is really targeting residents of central and northern Wisconsin with this proposal, especially farmers and senior citizens. People will have to deal with longer lines, take time off of work and deal with increased gas costs all to get their license,” Suder said.

Suder added he is pessimistic about the development of an online program, saying the costs of operating the existing DMVs would pale in comparison to the costs of developing such a service and may end up being more of a hassle than a benefit.

In an attempt to save the state more money, Doyle is also proposing a new plan requiring each vehicle to display one license plate instead of two.

While debate on this issue continues, the proposed cuts are far from final, according to Jay Serus, spokesperson for Rep. Ted Zigmunt, D-Francis Creek, vice chair on the Assembly Committee for Transportation.

“There’s going to be plenty of opportunity for public input on the budget, including public hearings,” Serus said.

The budget must be approved by the legislative Joint Committee on Finance before it is approved by the entire state Legislature and then signed into law by Gov. Doyle.