Doyle gives financial aid to UW; shorts private, tech schools

A joint letter written by representatives of the three sectors of Wisconsin upper level education may have proved effective when Gov. Jim Doyle announced an increase in financial aid for each division Tuesday.

The budget includes a 30 percent increase in financial aid for students in the University of Wisconsin system and a 3 percent increase for students attending private universities and technical schools.

Rolf Wegenke, president of the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities said, “To get an increase in these difficult times is just marvelous so we’re thrilled and as this goes through to the Legislature we are going to continue to support all students.”

Although Wegenke said he is happy about the increase, WAICU will continue to seek a balance in financial aid among all Wisconsin students.

“We felt just a couple of weeks ago that we were going to get a cut so when you get an increase in these hard times we aren’t going to be nit picky about it or complain,” Wegenke said. “But I think the student need is still great both with [private school] students and the technical college students.”

Although Wegenke said he did not know the reason for the lesser amount granted to private and technical schools, he noted 30 percent of eligible private school students were turned away last year because of a lack in financial aid dollars.

“I think [people] sometimes get distracted by going to this or that institution,” Wegenke said. “[Technical and private schools] are places of opportunity and they have financial need. … So I think it’s important to keep the emphasis on the students and even though it appears unequal I think it is getting through to people.”

Wegenke added WAICU will continue to advertise the need for financial aid for not only students in private and technical institutions but in all colleges and universities across the state.

United Council President Omer Farooque agreed that though the increase in financial aid is a step in the right direction, the uneven allocation of resources is an issue that must be addressed.

“On behalf of UW I am going to say it’s not fair,” Farooque said. “I think that the budget needs to be more equally distributed and that’s one of the things that whoever makes the budget in the future is what people should focus on. … everybody should be treated equally based on their needs.”

Farooque added he hopes the Legislature will prioritize financial aid and increase the funding proposed by Doyle.

“I don’t think it’s enough [aid] but it’s a step that needed to be taken,” Farooque said.

Farooque also said he hopes the governor shows increased support for education in the future and continues to increase funding for higher education.

“Hopefully this sort of change is appreciated everywhere state wide,” Farooque said, “And the state support for financial aid will hopefully continue to move in this direction.”