Officials: Protect students from budget cuts

Representatives from all three sectors of higher education in Wisconsin combined forces to write a letter to Gov. Jim Doyle calling for an increase in financial aid for students in the 2009-11 biennium budget, set for release next week.

The letter was written and signed by Rolf Wegenke, president of the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, Josh Mann, president of the United Council of University of Wisconsin Students, and Paul Gabriel, executive director of Wisconsin technical colleges.

The letter was hand-delivered to Doyle and the Legislature Monday.

“Sometimes in a time of economic crisis, education, particularly higher education, is seen as a frill,” Wegenke said. “We wanted to join together across sectors and say to remember the students.”

Wegenke added financial aid for all Wisconsin students should be prioritized above building projects and other programs competing for funding in the budget.

“There’s a lot of talk about who will start what program or build what building … but if the students can’t enroll then those programs won’t do anyone any good,” Wegenke said.

According to Wegenke, the average income level of Wisconsin citizens is at a percentage lower than that at the national level. Wisconsin also falls short in a variety of other economic performance measures.

Wegenke added people with higher levels of education tend to show increased voter turnout, volunteer more frequently and generally are more active members of society.

“The key to the future is to increase the percent of our population with a quality education,” Wegenke said. “It’s not just the key to individual futures — it’s the key to the state’s future.”

Mann, a UW-Milwaukee student, emphasized the three branches of higher education working together is important “now more than ever” due to the tough economic climate and an 80 percent increase in UW system tuition rates over the past 10 years.

Although the letter was a good start, higher education officials and students must continue to have a voice and be a constant presence, Mann said.

He also noted this is the first time the three sectors of higher education have come together to lobby for a cause, hoping it will reflect the importance of their stance.

“In the past there has been somewhat of a divide between the three systems,” Mann said. “Yes, we have different structures, but we’re all still providing education, and if we don’t unite now it’s going to be very hard for students to receive affordable education.”

Wegenke also noted the governor’s spoken desire to maintain progress in financial aid during his term. Wegenke is confident Doyle will continue to see the importance of the need for financial aid when finalizing the budget.

“I think the case is persuasive and the students in fact are a powerful voice,” Wegenke added.