Student’s death inspires city to consider new fire initiative

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Fire_JS[/media-credit]

The City of Madison Housing Committee approved a fire safety initiative Wednesday after a faulty nine-volt battery smoke alarm played a role in the death of a University of Wisconsin-La Crosse student in November 2007.

The Peter Talen Memorial Ordinance, co-created by Madison Fire Marshall Ed Ruckriegel and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, proposes all nine-volt battery smoke alarms be replaced by lithium-battery powered alarms by Aug. 15.

The ordinance is named after Peter Talen, who died in a house fire at 123 N. Bedford St. while visiting his brother, UW-Madison senior Andy Talen.

Although Andy Talen’s apartment had six fire alarms, none of them functioned properly, according to Ruckriegel.

“After fire fatalities in 2007, a lot of the public commented that our (current) fire ordinance is weak,” Ruckriegel said. “We need to use something so much more effective.”

Ruckriegel added about 3,400 people are killed nationally by fires each year. In 2007, five people died in Madison due to fire related incidents.

Nancy Jensen, executive director of the Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin, said all 1,000 landlords she represents are strong supporters of the ordinance.

Jensen said the ordinance is a good public safety measure because there is no way to tamper with the alarms and remove the battery. She added there is a high need for lithium alarms in any area with a young population density.

“The majorities where there are more problems with the batteries being removed are on the student properties,” Jensen said.

Ruckriegel added there is a $172 fine if a person disengages the alarm.

Since the lithium-battery powered alarms cannot be disengaged, the alarm has a hush button. If the alarm goes off due to humidity from the shower, smoking or other causes, Ruckriegel said a resident can push the hush button to reset the alarm, and it will resound if needed.

According to both Jensen and Ruckriegel, the lithium-battery alarms are not expensive and range in cost from $8.50 to $12.00. Although nine-volt battery alarms cost about $5, the battery in the alarm needs to be replaced twice a year, adding an extra $4 annual cost. In the long run, the lithium-battery alarms are most cost effective, Ruckriegel said.

Jensen added a one- or two-bedroom property usually only requires three to four alarms, therefore landlords do not need to invest too much money to comply with the ordinance.

Ruckriegel said landlords see the benefit of installing the lithium-battery alarms and added in the two years he has introduced the ordinance, he has never had a single person oppose the proposal.

“If you have alarms, they’re to warn the residents that something is happening, and if you tamper with them and they don’t work, then you default completely and you have a loss of life,” Jensen said.

The Peter Talen Memorial Ordinance will be brought in front of the City Council March 3 for a final vote.