Graduates lost jobs, internships due to ailing economy

As graduation approaches and the economy continues to weaken, entering a weakening job market is a daunting task for soon-to-be University of Wisconsin graduates.

Students in the School of Business are among the ones hardest hit by the waning employment opportunities, with a few students even having their job offers rescinded, said Director of Business Career Services Steve Schroeder.

Schroeder went on to say companies, as well as the school and students, definitely do not desire this outcome.

“No company wants to rescind offers,” Schroeder said. “In terms of what these companies are facing, however, that’s just a reality of the market now.”

Schroeder added students should be more open to job opportunities that may not have been their first choice and continue looking for jobs because there are still openings out there.

Leslie Kohlberg, director of career services for the College of Letter and Sciences, agreed students should be more open to different prospects that could add to their skill sets and make them more attractive to prospective employers.

“Don’t lower your expectations — just change them a bit,” Kohlberg said. “Whatever you are doing next does not determine your lifelong career.”

Kohlberg also said the younger generation is in demand as baby boomers are getting closer to retirement.

She said although the current job market is tough, the future is looking brighter for most.

Nicole Krusic, a senior majoring in political science and legal studies, knows first hand how hard it is to find a job, but she remains optimistic.

“It may not be your ideal job right now, but it’s out there,” said Krusic. “I plan on just getting a job and then hopefully finding one I like better as soon as the market gets better.”

Krusic has been sending out applications, checking UW’s career services and networking at the Capitol, where she works.

According to Kathy Prem, assistant director of Engineering Career Services, future engineers are in a slightly better position than other students on campus, with only one student having an internship rescinded.

Prem added students should not be afraid to use every resource available to them when searching for a job.

“In a market like this, it is important to use everything available — using everything the career services office has to offer, using any personal contacts, and asking advisors for any industry contacts they may have,” Prem said.

Heather Lee Schroeder, student service coordinator for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, agreed that it is important to be open to different options and not be discouraged by a harder job market.

Schroeder added she recommends working for a company instead of being a freelance writer because freelancers do not receive health benefits and the work is not steady.

She also said not to be ashamed of living at home if necessary.

“I’m telling students not to give up hope because I think there are certainly jobs out there,” Schroeder said. “I personally am seeing people get jobs, but it’s taking longer.”