Clinic motives under scrutiny

University of Wisconsin health officials said profit was not a factor in their recent decision to perform second trimester abortions at UW clinics, though internal communication suggests otherwise.

Documents obtained by The Associated Press include a UW-branded PowerPoint page titled “Benefits” that lists “increased departmental revenue” at the top of the slide. The PowerPoint was created by professors Caryn Dutton Bean, one of the physicians who would perform the abortions, and Laurel Rice.

UW Health spokesperson Lisa Brunette said she has been to many meetings with officials involved in the matter, and none have listed increased revenue as one of the deciding factors.

“We do not expect that this is going to be a highly profitable line of business,” Brunette said. “We hope to break even, but the physicians believe there is a service in the community that needs to be filled.”

Other acquired documents show top hospital officials had been discussing the project for weeks before it was announced to the public and hospital employees who would be affected, the AP reported.

Steve Karlen, co-director of the anti-abortion group Madison Vigil for Life, believes officials were intentionally secretive for far longer than was appropriate.

“There’s no doubt that it was secretive. They didn’t want it to come out,” Karlen said. “When they finally did release it to the media … it was because the cover was blown.”

Karlen went on to say he is unsurprised there are internal documents linking the performing of second trimester abortions to profit.

“It’s a lucrative business,” Karlen said. “We know that there has always been a very unfortunate connection between abortion and money. They don’t want people to know this, and it is unfortunate they are operating with such secrecy.”

NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin Executive Director Lisa Subeck was also not surprised money was discussed, but for different reasons.

Because abortions are a medical procedure, she said some exchange of money is necessary and expected.

“Based on the research in the proposal, it looks like they would probably be doing about 100 of them a year,” Subeck said. “We’re talking about a very small number, so I find it very hard to believe there is a potential conflict of interest to begin with. There just isn’t a lot of profit to be had, and I trust that’s not the intent.”

Brunette said the abortions would mainly be performed on women who cannot easily afford health care. The Madison Surgery Center would also be the only center to perform second trimester abortions due to the December retirement of Dennis Christiansen, Planned Parenthood’s only physician performing the procedure.

Brunette also addressed documents stating anesthesia doctors “are very uncomfortable” with the situation, saying doctors unsupportive of abortion would not be forced to participate.

She also emphasized the proposal is the product of several physicians who wish to offer the procedure.

The UW Hospital Authority Board will voice their support or non-support Wednesday, after which the proposal will go to the Madison Surgery Center at an undetermined date for final approval.