Student Activies Center officially opens up doors

[media-credit name=’LEAH BELLACK/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]SAC_LB[/media-credit]

The Associated Students of Madison “ventured forward” Wednesday with the grand opening of the Student Activity Center, which will provide a hub for student resources and organizations.

“I think that it’s going to help students get things done on campus,” ASM Shared Governance Chair Adam Sheka said. “Having your own space on campus is really powerful. The interactions that are going to take place here will not be the same interactions that are going to take place in another building.”

According to Sheka, there will be a dozen things a student will be able to do once stepping foot in the SAC.

Picking up a transcript at the Student Print Center, visiting University Health Services and walking into the ASM offices — or any of the other 62 student organization offices — will all be possible in one place.

“This project has taken 10 years to complete, and it’s so nice to see how it has been transformed from an idea to one of the nicest spaces on campus,” said ASM Student Activity Board Governing Chair Lauren Vollrath.

Vollrath added her role in the project began four years ago as a member of the SAC Standing Board comprised entirely of students. They worked with architects to come up with the floor plan. Now she is excited to have seen it to fruition.

Vollrath said the SAC provides so many resources for students that it would be hard for them not to benefit from the facility. With business, cultural and social organizations housed in the same area, Vollrath believes student participation in these organizations will allow them to grow in many new and exciting ways.

Freshman and ASM volunteer Tom Templeton agreed with Vollrath, saying students will have greater opportunities with the location of the SAC.

“I think it’s good that a majority of the student organizations will all be centralized in one location,” he said. “It will certainly strengthen a lot of the student orgs on campus.”

Many University of Wisconsin students came to view the unveiling of the SAC. UW freshmen Alicia Dorsett and Cliff Grefe both said the facility boasts many positive features that will surely make life easier for both themselves and their peers.

“It’s much more centralized for all the dorms and will be more accessible to get students involved,” Grefe said. “It’s definitely worth checking out.”

Dorsett agreed: “The facility is very nice, and it looks like a good place to even just come by and study. As for the location, one of the reasons I came here tonight was because I didn’t have to walk far. It’s very convenient.”

The grand opening also included refreshments for those in attendance, a presentation of ASM’s committees and services, a performance by the Madhatters and tours of the new facility.

The space is located on the third and fourth floors of the University Square building that resides in the East Campus Mall between University Avenue and Johnson Street.