‘Historic challenges’

Gov. Jim Doyle addressed concerns regarding the economy, health care and educational funding Wednesday night at his annual State of the State address.

“We meet tonight at a time of great difficult in this country, which has been felt deeply in this state,” Doyle said. “A Wall Street meltdown as a result of eight years of bad economic policy and too many risky schemes has led to a national economic crisis we haven’t seen in decades.”

Doyle reiterated his remarks on the economy throughout his speech, acknowledging the current $5.4 billion deficit and the rising unemployment rate.

However, despite the challenges, Doyle continually expressed his belief the state would be able to pull through the crises.

“We’ve taken many steps in Wisconsin so far to address this crisis, including $500 million in spending cuts this year, and many more are to come,” Doyle said.

To help fix the current crises, Doyle proposed a variety of state projects that would help employ Wisconsin citizens and improve the state overall.

In addition to mentioning the statewide efforts he has taken, Doyle also recognized the efforts of President Barack Obama’s administration and Congress as well as his work with governors throughout the nation to help get the economy back on track.

Even though Doyle said budget cuts would have to be made in a variety of government sectors, he insisted maintaining educational funding would be one of his major priorities.

“A second grader is not going to be able to come back when the economy is better and pick up where she left off if we fail her today,” Doyle said. “My parents were educated in Wisconsin schools that were kept strong through the Great Depression. We can demonstrate that same resolve again today.”

Rep. Kim Hixson, D-Whitewater, chair of the Assembly Committee on Colleges and Universities, said he was pleased to hear the positive remarks on education.

“I am very hopeful because the governor has always emphasized education, and he seemed to say that tonight,” Hixson said. “We want to encourage the governor and the whole budget process to protect the quality of our universities and technical colleges because we need them now more than ever.”

To help improve health care throughout the state, Doyle advocated the use of the state’s BadgerCare Plus health insurance plan. According to Doyle, over 100,000 people signed up for the program last year, making Wisconsin the No. 2 state in the nation for health care coverage.

In addition to health care, education and the economy, Doyle also spoke of various other programs he would like to see passed in the upcoming year, including a smoke-free Wisconsin, tougher drunken driving laws, energy saving programs and increased accountability for childcare.

“Our future will depend on how well we can work together,” Doyle said. “Through historic challenges, we see the resolve that makes Wisconsin great.”

In addition to commenting on the state’s current condition and various proposals currently facing the Legislature, Doyle took time to acknowledge a variety of honored guests, including Wisconsin resident Jeffrey Skiles, co-pilot of the U.S. Airways flight that was forced to land in the Hudson River Jan. 15 after a plane malfunction.

While most of the Legislature spent their night applauding Doyle’s remarks, not everyone agreed that the governor addressed the variety of challenges currently facing the state.

“I wish he would have talked more about that federal stimulus money and how that’s going to be spent,” said Assembly Minority Leader Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon. “I think if you look at it, the governor tried to paint the picture that we’re in this deficit along with other states, but I question that.”

Fitzgerald added Wisconsin currently faces the fourth-highest deficit nationwide in terms of budget percentage, largely due to the increase in government spending.

Doyle acknowledged while the government may face partisan challenges in the coming months, he encouraged legislators to come together, uniting under the state’s mascot.

“We’re Badgers,” Doyle said. “We don’t point fingers and fall into small-minded bickering — we pull together, share the sacrifice and move forward.”