Doyle to focus on economy in address

Amid a $5.4 billion budget shortfall, the highest unemployment rate since the 1980s and a recession with no end in sight, Gov. Jim Doyle will deliver his annual State of the State address tonight at the Capitol.

Doyle spokesperson Lee Sensenbrenner said the governor’s speech will “focus on creating opportunities in our challenging time.”

In a statement Tuesday, Doyle said he plans to address the impact of the national economic slowdown on the state while outlining the future steps Wisconsin must take in order to help protect Wisconsin’s priorities.

“We meet at a time of great difficulty in this country, which has been felt deeply in this state, but I know we can meet any challenge and come through stronger than ever,” Doyle said.

Many state legislators agreed the state’s current economic climate is the most pressing issue facing Wisconsin citizens.

“I think Gov. Doyle will address the fiscal situation that the state faces,” said Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison. “I think he will talk about the federal stimulus bill and how it will have a positive effect on Wisconsin citizens.”

Black added he thinks Doyle will address concerns regarding green technology and the importance of keeping funding for institutions like the University of Wisconsin System.

“While we do face a budget crisis, we have to be sure not to harm the institutions like the UW that are essential to the future of Wisconsin,” Black said.

Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, also expects there will be a lot of talk on the economy and the ways the state needs to readjust its priorities, according to his spokesperson Rebekah Sweeney.

Rep. Robin Vos, R-Racine, said Doyle must fully explain the specifics of his plan to save the state’s economy and improve on working with members from both political parties.

He used President Barack Obama’s efforts at reaching out to Congressional Republicans in developing his administration’s stimulus plan as an example of what he hopes to see from Doyle.

“I hope that he comes forward with the understanding that he has to work with both parties,” Vos said. “He hasn’t done that yet; hopefully, he takes an example from President Obama.”

In addition to a variety of reports regarding the topics of the governor’s speech, there has also been speculation regarding the presence of U.S. Airways co-pilot Jeff Skiles of Oregon, Wis., about 20 minutes south of Madison, at the State of the State.

Skiles gained fame in recent weeks after helping land U.S. Air Flight 1549 into New York City’s Hudson River on Jan. 15.

Doyle’s office refused to comment directly on Skiles’ appearance.

But Sensenbrenner did speculate on the matter, saying people would “not be disappointed.”

The speech is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.