Cameras could monitor taverns

Surveillance cameras intended to capture disruptive behavior will be installed in downtown Madison bars if a proposal by the Downtown Hospitality Council’s Best Practices subcommittee is approved.

For the past year, the council has been planning safety initiatives for the downtown area, including the installation of surveillance cameras in bars where most patrons stand while drinking, improving the training of bar staff and having more police interaction at bar time.

According to Joel Plant, spokesperson for Mayor Cieslewicz, the installation of security cameras would help prevent problems and address issues when they arise.

Plant said there is not any one particular establishment downtown that warrants surveillance cameras. However, if the coalition is passed, larger establishments typically crowded by patrons standing and consuming alcohol, will be required to install cameras.

Richard Lyshek, owner of Ram Head Rathskeller, has already installed cameras in his establishment.

“This is something that can improve our downtown nighttime economy and also keep people safe while they’re out having a good time downtown,” Lyshek said.

He added the cameras in the entrance of his bar are a convenient way to keep track of the interactions between bouncers and patrons and prevent disorderly behavior. The cameras also provide assistance by ensuring the identification of all bar patrons is checked before they are admitted into the establishment.

However even with cameras present, Ram Head Rathskeller has been raided on many occasions by the Madison Police Department, and many underage drinking tickets have been issued, according to Lyshek.

“No measure is going to completely prevent underage people from entering a bar,” Lyshek said.

Barb Mercer, president of the Dane County Tavern League, which represents 30 downtown bars, said the initiative to install surveillance cameras in local bars is “intrusive” to business.

Mercer said the tavern league will not be associated with the proposed initiative, adding the league is already involved in a lawsuit and will not agree to anything that can potentially cause them to be sued again.

Long-term Madison resident Rosemary Lee said cameras inside bars could be considered a violation of the limited privacy a person expects in a private establishment.

“I seriously wonder if Madison wants to enact an ordinance that forces independent businessmen to install surveillance cameras to spy on all the patrons of the establishment,” Lee said.

Instead of adding surveillance cameras, Lee proposed building parking lots and installing strong, bright lighting outside bars.

She added the cameras are likely to make 99 percent of bar patrons feel uncomfortable.

“I would not be happy personally to be caught on one of those cameras,” Lee said. “I certainly don’t cause a rumpus in a liquor establishment, in a McDonald’s or anywhere else.”

Plant says the DHC will discuss the Best Practices subcommittee’s proposals in a few weeks. An official date has yet to be scheduled.

However, Mercer said her agency is not a “policing agency” and the DHC is “stepping on our toes” to agree with their propositions.

“If you are an adult, then you should be adult enough to take responsibility for your actions,” Mercer said.

Megan Maginot contributed to this report