Further details unveiled in bar fight incident

The dispute that ended in Madison’s 11th homicide in 2008 allegedly started after the victim got in an argument with an employee when he wanted to take his beer outside of Crave Restaurant and Lounge.

According to Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for the Madison Police Department, the victim, Eduardo Cademartori, 27, was trying to take a beer outside when Ross Spang, 22, Madison, tried to prevent him.

“We determined that the victim was trying to take a beer out of the bar, which in part, led to a confrontation with bar employee,” DeSpain said.

Cademartori died of severe head trauma after beginning on life support on Sunday, according to Dane County Coroner John Stanley.

The police report said Cademartori was knocked to the ground with a single blow to the head early Sunday morning on the corner of State and Johnson streets.

DeSpain added Spang communicated with the other two suspects, Roynell Fuller, 19, of Madison, allegedly a bar patron, and a third man, whom police talked with for the first time yesterday.

“We believe Roynell Fuller threw the punch,” DeSpain said. “The only thing we are able to determine thus far is the bar employee and the victim got into a confrontation, and the confrontation began, in part, because of the victim carrying his beer out of the bar.”

Fuller is currently facing a charge of substantial battery, and Spang is charged with being party to the crime and substantial battery.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said probable cause affidavits filed in Dane County Circuit Court disclose Spang told Madison police he pushed Cademartori out of the bar, but no reason was specified.

Spang told police Cademartori punched him in the mouth outside of the bar. Spang returned to the bar with his mouth bleeding and told Fuller and the unidentified suspect what happened. The three men went into the street to search for Cademartori.

Detectives are still investigating the case, and the charges against Fuller and Spang will be upgraded in the coming days to some type of homicide charge.

Capt. Mary Schauf of the Central Police District said she would be surprised if the upgraded charges were intentional homicide, adding she expects it will be a reckless homicide charge.

Cademartori, a racecar mechanic from DeLand, Fla., had moved to Madison one week ago to begin training with a new team.

Court Commissioner Todd Meurer set bail at $10,000 for Spang and at $5,000 for Fuller at a bail hearing Wednesday. The Wisconsin State Journal reported Spang is expected to post his bail and be released, according to his attorney, Tracy Wood.

Verveer said the two suspects are scheduled to return to court next week.