Madison library project narrowed down to 2 proposals

Madison now has two proposals for the construction of a new downtown central library to take the place of the current downtown library on Mifflin Street near Capitol Square.

The Central Library Surplus Committee discussed the pros and cons Wednesday night of the features and finances for the two proposals.

One proposal, drafted by T. Wall Properties, would be built at the same location while the other proposal by Fiore-Irgens, would build on the corner of West Washington Avenue and North Henry Street, putting a parking structure where the library is now.

The funding for the project remains an issue even after the City Council approved the 2009 capital budget, which included half the funding for a new downtown central library, with the intent for the remainder of the funding to be raised in the private sector.

In September, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said the current library is “a worn inadequate facility.”

Don Marx, manager in the Office of Real Estate Services, outlined the costs for the two proposals, each totaling more than $20 million.

“That’s a big number, and the economy isn’t doing too well,” said Tripp Widder, chair of the Central Library Surplus Committee and president of the Library Board.

The Fiore-Irgens proposal would initially cost more than the T. Wall proposal with a total base build cost of about $21.7 million as opposed to $20.4 million, Marx said.

“The major flaw in [the Fiore-Irgens’] one, after talking to the city’s attorney office, is that it is considered a design build,” Marx said. “The city would have to go out and do a request for proposals.”

Marx explained the project would technically be defined as a design build rather than a public works project, making it more difficult for the city to commission.

The T. Wall properties proposal includes 100,000 square feet of library space, 150,000 square feet for offices, retail stores and restaurants, and one level of underground parking with 75 total parking spaces, eight of which would be allocated to the library.

The Fiore-Irgens proposal has 104,000 square feet for library space, condominiums on the upper levels and a parking structure on the location of the current library.

By the end of the meeting, the committee decided public input would be imperative to this project.

“I do think there’s a lot of interest,” said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, said he thought the committee should try to make a decision before the holidays.

Widder said the contractors and Madison officials need to flush out costs “so that we have a true comparison when we put these two side by side.”

“How soon do we want to make things happen?” Palm said. “If you do a public meeting in January, then our decision is in February or March.”

After some discussion, Widder said he thought the next meeting should be with the committee and the contractors, so they have a chance to present revisions to the group before holding a large public hearing.

The committee has scheduled a public hearing for Jan. 8, 2009, at 6 p.m. at the end of the Library Board’s meeting.