They just want to get down

[media-credit name=’ANDREW SCHORR/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]80sClub_AS[/media-credit]

Dan Rebholz had a dream. He craved to revisit the carefree days of high school. He hoped to create a group where others could do the same. But most of all, Rebholz just wanted to dance.

When he arrived at the University of Wisconsin, Rebholz said he delved fiercely into academic study. It wasn’t long before he felt something was missing.

“I didn’t really want to play a rec sport, and I felt that there wasn’t a club on campus that was devoted strictly to having fun and relaxing,” Rebholz said.

Reminiscing about high school ’80s dance parties, Rebholz was struck with an idea.

“Why not make a student org where we dance in the Union for an hour?” Rebholz said.

Now in its fourth semester of existence, ’80s Dance Zone meets every Thursday from 8 to 9 p.m. in the Memorial Union. While the group’s membership is small, it is extremely dedicated.

Rebholz arrives early to his weekly meeting with ’80s Dance Zone, the student organization he launched in spring 2007, with boom box in tow. It’s Italo Disco night, one of the group’s many theme nights. Italo Disco, Rebholz explains, is a specific subset of dance music bred in the nightclubs of Italy in the 1980s.

“I love ’80s music,” Rebholz said. “When I was growing up, whenever I was left alone I would turn on ’80s music and dance around the whole house.”

Also at the “meeting,” two enthusiastic girls in puffy neon vests are practically dancing before the music starts. Though new to the group, UW freshmen Lauren George and Katie Seeger are among the diehards. They come every week, and tonight they arrive even before Rebholz.

“Every week, we just dance for an hour, and then at the middle point, we do a relaxation period for one song. And then we’re back at it,” Seeger said.

George agreed, saying that no one judges and you can dance as crazily as you want.

But George and Seeger come for more than just the dancing. Although it is not required, members are encouraged to dress in over-the-top clothing inspired by the era.

“One of the best parts is trying to find a new outfit every week,” George said.

UW senior Rachel Neymark, who remembers the earlier days of the group, is impressed with how the group has evolved.

“It’s really grown this past year,” Neymark said. “Dan’s been really good with getting the word out there.”

Perhaps it’s because Rebholz knows there is more to ’80s Dance Zone than techno beats and “totally awesome” moves.

“It’s really encouraging everyone to be creative with their bodies and to express themselves through dancing and tap into the energy around everyone else,” Rebholz said. “That’s building confidence, building community skills, and so there’s a lot more that happens besides just dancing.”

Seeger said she definitely sees the benefits of busting a move with the group once a week. She said the byproduct of the club is that she feels relaxed and doesn’t think about school for the hour she is there.

UW senior lecturer in dance therapy Rena Kornblum said dance can help to relieve stress in many ways.

“Dancing is therapeutic in and of itself,” Kornblum said. “You move, you get the heart circulating, you’re releasing endorphins, you’re taking your mind off your troubles. So that will make you feel relaxed and happy.”

Relaxing though it may be, back at Italo Disco night, the music can only be described as upbeat. Rebholz cranks up the volume and starts rocking out in bright yellow short-shorts.

“I am most definitely looking to pass the ’80s Dance Zone torch to a young and talented individual,” said Rebholz, who will graduate in spring. “I hope that I have been able to plant a seed of ’80s dance passion in this university that will blossom and continue to nurture young souls that need a judgment-free dance outlet.”