Bang! Birthday girl shot with BB gun

While being shot with a BB gun is usually an injury reserved for children, few would expect it to happen to a 21-year-old on her birthday.

Yet, that’s exactly what happened last Friday around 9:50 p.m., when a Madison woman was shot in the stomach with a BB gun outside of the Nitty Gritty.

According to the police report, the victim suffered a welt on her stomach and did not contact police right away because she did not think the incident was worth reporting.

“Her cousin convinced her to call police,” Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

DeSpain said the victim was outside the Nitty Gritty when a red pickup truck drove past her. She heard several “popping” noises and saw a silver handgun sticking out of the window, according to the report.

It is unknown if the woman was a University of Wisconsin student.

The victim did not need medical attention, and she simply went back into the Nitty Gritty, DeSpain said.

Just shortly before the Nitty Gritty incident occurred, a woman reported the window to her home on the 5600 block of Elder Place had been shot with BBs.

The police report said the shots had not penetrated both panes of glass, but it was evident that the glass had been struck several times.

The woman also reported seeing a red pickup truck driving away from her home.

“We don’t know if that one is connected to the other one,” DeSpain said. “The time frame is pretty tight.”

DeSpain said it is possible the truck could have shot at the house and then drove into the downtown area.

The first report had a time of 9:47 p.m. and the second report had a time of approximately 9:50 p.m.

The woman at the Nitty Gritty did not contact police for at least a half an hour after the incident occurred, so her estimate of when the incident occurred could be off, DeSpain added.

The perpetrators could face charges of disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property and possibly battery, DeSpain said, even though they were using a BB gun.

“You can’t point weapons at anyone,” DeSpain said.