Plaza killer’s partner guilty

One of the men charged in connection to a September homicide outside the Plaza Tavern was convicted last week.

Travis Knapp, 24, of Madison, was charged with harboring a felon and felony bail jumping, to which he pleaded no contest.

Knapp will not have a trial and will be sentenced within the next 90 days, according to District Attorney Brian Blanchard.

“Today, he gave up his right to a trial,” Blanchard said last week.

Blanchard said he recommended no more than two years in confinement but added the decision will ultimately be the judge’s.

“The judge could sentence him to a mere fine,” Blanchard said.

Blanchard said the judge ordered the Department of Corrections to open a supplemental pre-sentencing investigation before he determines Knapp’s penalty.

The homicide outside the Plaza Tavern at 319 N. Henry St. occurred Sept. 3 when Justin Stout, 31, of Madison, allegedly stabbed Juan Bernal, 22, also of Madison.

At the time, police investigations revealed the fight that erupted outside started between Stout and Bernal after there was an alleged disagreement over the jukebox.

Stout is charged with first-degree reckless homicide for stabbing Bernal around 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 3. Bernal died early morning on Sept. 4. The cause of death was later determined to be two puncture wounds to the heart.

That night, those involved fled the scene and patrons of the local bar chased down several men, eventually catching Knapp.

Knapp told police he disposed of the knife Stout had used to stab Bernal and led the police to Stout’s apartment.

At the time, Knapp was on bail for substantial battery committed last February, Blanchard said.

“He had a condition from a prior case,” Blanchard said. “One condition of his bail was that he not drink alcohol.”

Police records show Knapp had been drinking the night of the homicide, therefore violating his bail, Blanchard said.

Stout will stand trial sometime in March.