Circuit judge to challenge chief justice

[media-credit name=’KRIS UGARRIZA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]supreme-court_KU[/media-credit]

Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge Randy Koschnick announced Monday he will run against incumbent Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson.

Koschnick, who said he would run a clean and fair campaign for Supreme Court, is also the deputy chief judge of Wisconsin’s Third Judicial District and has previously served as a public defender.

Following a spring 2008 judicial race marked by intensely negative campaigning from both campaigns and business lobby group Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce, Koschnick proposed a “Clean Campaign Pledge” and said he would publicly repudiate any false accusations from third parties.

“This race should only focus on our records and our philosophies, not on lies and personal attacks funded by third-party groups,” Koschnick said.

If Abrahamson signs the pledge Koschnick has proposed, she would also agree with a minimum of six independent public debates with Koschnick.

Abrahamson, who did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Monday, has yet to make public whether she will sign the pledge. In a statement released Monday, she stressed the importance of voter knowledge.

“I think it’s a positive thing that over the course of the next few months, voters will develop a better understanding of the role of the Supreme Court,” Abrahamson said.

Koschnick pointed out the different judicial philosophies between him and Abrahamson, adding he is a conservative traditionalist while Abrahamson “legislates from the bench” and holds more liberal values.

“A judicial conservative like myself believes in judicial restraint,” Koschnick said. “If a judge disagrees with a law that’s been passed, it’s not proper for the judge to reverse that law unless it violates the constitution.”

Abrahamson said she looks forward to having an opponent in the race because it enables them to discuss the role of a justice. She said she disagrees with the labels Koschnick used of conservative and liberal.

“People of the state reject tired labels and divisive rhetoric, and they will have a chance to do so on April 7,” Abrahamson added.