Kids to go trick or treating with Greeks

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald file photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]greek_halloween[/media-credit]

Those wary of Halloween’s scarier side should steer clear of Langdon Street this afternoon, as the street will be overrun with hundreds of little witches, Power Rangers and other frightening characters as a part of “Trick or Treat with the Greeks.”

The event is put on by the four University of Wisconsin Greek councils and runs from 2 to 6 p.m. Children 5- to 13 -years -old are invited to participate.

With the help of student tour guides, children will visit different sororities and fraternities to take part in Halloween-themed fun.

Several houses have paired up at each stop to lead participants in activities, including a haunted house, Halloween games, mummy wrapping, face painting and cookie decorating, according to Anna Day, vice president of community service and philanthropy for the Pan–Hheellenic Council.

“It’s always been so much fun,” Day said. “It’s a great way to hang out with kids all day and get in touch with your childhood roots. It’s a way to give back to the community and get students involved and engaged.”

Day said that there will be several tweaks this year, but overall the event will be similar to past years.

“We had one situation last year where the haunted house was a little too scary for the 6-year-olds,” Day said. “This year we’re only taking the older kids through.”

Participating youth come from nine local after-school programs and non-profit organizations, including Bayview Community Center, the Boys & Girls Club and Neighborhood House.

“A lot of the Greek community and students don’t get off campus,” said David Parfitt, vice president of Interfraternity Council service. “A lot of the kids who come are economically disadvantaged. It gives people a sense of the community in Madison that they don’t really get to see.”

Day said the sponsor groups that participate are thanked with a $100 donation. She added the Greek community sees it as a way of thanking the groups for their commitment to the Madison community.

The event is a product of coordination between the Interfraternity, Multicultural Greek, National Pan-Hellenic, and Pan-Hellenic councils.

Day and Parfitt said the cooperation between the groups occurs a few times a year and is beneficial to the entire Greek system.

“We don’t get to work with them a lot,” Parfitt said. “Before this I didn’t know what the frats and sororities involved in the [other councils] were. The Greek community gets knocked around a lot because people say there isn’t enough cultural diversity, and I agree with that. I think this solves that a little.”

Overall, Day and Parfitt are pleased with the event.

“It’s fun for everyone,” Parfitt said. “I like little kids, and it is really awesome to see them having fun screaming and laughing. The older kids have fun, the younger kids have fun. It just feels good.”