600 to face winter without heat

A Wisconsin law meant to protect residents from having their utilities cut off during the coldest months of the year won’t help the increasing number of Madison residents already without light and heat after failing to pay their utility bills.

Madison Gas and Electric has about 600 customers whose service is currently disconnected, about a 15-20 percent increase from last year, according to Steve Kraus, spokesperson for the company.

“There are an unprecedented large number of people that have already had their heat and electricity cut off,” said Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9. “People are being hurt more than in previous years. There is simply no fat on the city budget, and we’ll have to raise taxes disproportionately.”

The law says a consumer cannot be disconnected during the annual Wisconsin utility disconnection, which runs from Nov. 1 through April 15, said Teresa Smith, spokesperson for the Public Service Commission.

Many southern states do not have a utility suspension, but Wisconsin instituted this legislation as a protective measure in 1984 to help citizens who face colder temperatures, Smith said.

But if a resident has already been disconnected, there is no law ordaining they must be re-connected until payment arrangements have been set up with the energy company, Kraus said.

While residential customers are protected by the utility suspension, Kraus said commercial customers, like small businesses, are not protected and often face the full brunt of rising energy costs.

Smith said the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program provides emergency financial assistance to qualifying families who are unable to pay their gas or electric bills, as well as information for how to cut energy costs, reduce bills and develop a payment plan with the utility company.

According to the Federal Fiscal 2008 Year End Crisis Report, 361 households were given $141,810 in energy crisis assistance in Dane County through the WHEAP, but these numbers are expected to rise.

“Energy costs for raw materials are increasing, and these costs get passed on to rate payers,” Smith said.

In Dane County, MG&E refers customers in need of financial assistance to apply for utility grants from Energy Services, Kraus said.

The Department of Administration and Public Service Commission of Wisconsin has urged utility customers to seek assistance before the heating season begins.

Kraus said MG&E contacts customers with outstanding bills with letters, phone calls and personal visits to work out a payment schedule so disconnected customers can have energy restored before the Nov. 1 deadline.

“It’s especially difficult with energy costs rising faster than income,” Public Works council member Larry Palm said.

The PSC also provides an emergency line for residents, 1-800-225-7729, where they can file complaints, find resources to reduce bills and connect with other help agencies.