SSFC gives Sex Out Loud a bump

Sex Out Loud, a group promoting sexual health on campus, was given a budget increase at the Student Services Finance Committee’s Thursday meeting.

Sex Out Loud will receive $90,710 for their budget for 2009-10. This amount is an increase from last year’s budget of $84,782. The budget was increased in line with increasing diversity in sex education, such as sexuality in people with disabilities.

Sex Out Loud speaker Erica Andrist said that a primary outlet for additional funding would go toward finding a speaker for sexual health week. According to Andrist, it is a recurring problem to find speakers whose philosophy is consistent with that of Sex Out Loud.

“The budget we have right now is not enough. Because speakers are in high demand we are asking for more money to bring the caliber of speakers that we want to our campus,” Andrist added.

Stephanie Jones, project coordinator for SOL, said the organization has made recent changes in order to be more accountable for their funding. According to Jones, increases in communication have been made between the project coordinator and the rest of the organization so as to ensure that future budgets are used effectively.

A major cut made was in regard to bringing in a speaker for Sexual Health Week. According to SSFC Vice Chair Carl Fergus, SOL requested a $10,000 budget for the event, but SSFC felt it was more appropriate to allocate a budget of $5,000.

Also addressed was a budget decision for Wunk Sheek, an organization looking for additional funding to continue fostering a Native American community on campus. Specifically, the organization seeks funding for inservice events in which officers of committees are trained and strategic planning for the year is made, said Michelle Butterfield, a representative from Wunk Sheek.

The SSFC chose to postpone budget decisions for Wunk Sheek until Monday.

A budget hearing for WISPIRG took place concerning funding for the upcoming school year.

WISPIRG Chair Tony Uhl discussed potential budget increases in the realms of office supply, postage and travel.

Uhl also appealed to the committee to provide funding for an annual off-campus WISPIRG retreat that takes place in Green Lake, WI. According to representatives, the retreat provides an opportunity for WISPIRG members to network with other chapters and build coalition outreach.

According to Uhl, money cut would significantly hinder WISPIRG’s ability to effectively organize and advocate.

Budget decisions will be made for the WISPIRG hearing on Monday.