Lawton, Judge rally in support of a ‘fair’ state

[media-credit name=’KATE BRENNER/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Eli-Judge_KB[/media-credit]

Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton rallied for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community Wednesday and asked University of Wisconsin students to support the cause with their votes in the fast-approaching presidential and state legislative elections.

The rally was organized by Fair Wisconsin, a group dedicated to civil rights for LGBT individuals. Lawton was joined by Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, and Executive Director of Fair Wisconsin Glenn Carlson.

The speakers emphasized the importance of the upcoming presidential election and the Wisconsin Legislature races. Lawton said she hopes to keep a pro-fairness majority in the state Senate and achieve a pro-fairness majority in the state Assembly this November.

“The people on the state and federal level, we need them to be dedicated to a fair and just and growing Wisconsin and United States,” Lawton said.

Fair Wisconsin has endorsed Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama for president, but their interests extend beyond the presidential election. Their “Go All the Way on Election Day” program encourages students to vote in every race on the ticket, according to Christine Callsen, finance and communications director for Fair Wisconsin.

“In an election where there is a lot of hype about the top of the ticket, sometimes the bottom of the ticket can get lost,” Callsen said.

The rally also focused on how students have used their power in elections in the past and encouraged them to continue to turn out and vote in the future.

Students for a Fair Wisconsin was formed in 2006 to encourage citizens to vote against the gay marriage ban in that election. While there is no amendment on this November’s ballot, the group is currently working toward changing the leadership in the state Assembly to pro-fairness candidates, Carlson said.

“The voters have a clear choice between pro-fairness candidates and those who will continue discrimination,” Carlson said.

Fair Wisconsin is working to promote voter turnout at UW and also at 12 other UW System schools, where pro-fairness candidates face challenges in the state Assembly election.

“Replicate that 2006 turnout and the people who support the ban don’t stand a chance,” Judge said.

Lawton will continue to travel around Wisconsin up until Election Day, appearing at events to help elect state legislative candidates in support of the cause.