University of Minnesota explores smoking ban

Smokers at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities could be forced to leave campus to light up a cigarette as a result of recent considerations to institute a campuswide smoking ban.

U of M is looking into a smoking ban for all university buildings and property, which is due in part to the Student Advisory Health Committee raising questions about the effects of smoking on campus, according to Gerald Rinehart, U of M vice provost for Student Affairs and chief Student Affairs officer.

To help gauge interest over the smoking ban, school officials sent out surveys to university students, staff and faculty members during the first week of October, Rinehart said.

The surveys inquired about respondents’ attitudes toward smoking, where they were normally exposed to secondhand smoke on campus and if the university should provide a sense of leadership regarding smoking on campus. The surveys provided students with a blank space to freely express their views on smoking as well, Rinehart added.

“The problem we are encountering while considering the ban is figuring out exactly where our campus is,” Rinehart said. “There are a lot of public blocks in between campus buildings throughout the city.”

Additionally, establishing a ban could create safety problems, Rinehart said.

“The ban could pose a safety risk for students in residence halls who might be leaving in the middle of the night to go off campus to have a cigarette,” Rinehart said. “We wouldn’t want anything to happen to the students while off campus.”

The University of Wisconsin currently has no campuswide smoking ban. UW’s current smoking policy was amended in March 2008 and forbids students from smoking indoors, in athletic facilities, in residence halls, on the grounds of campus health facilities and within 25 feet of university buildings.

According to Maureen Busalacchi, executive director of Smoke Free Wisconsin, smoking bans can help smokers who want to quit finally kick the habit.

“Bans make it more difficult to smoke,” Busalacchi said. “One of the triggers for some people is being around others who smoke.”

If the ban is enacted, U of M would provide cessation services for those students and staff members who smoke. Citing the survey, Rinehart said currently about 3.4 percent of students and 1 percent of staff at the university are daily smokers. Of those who do smoke, 50 percent expressed interest in quitting.

Additionally, Rinehart said the possible ban at U of M could lead to financial benefits, as smoking-related illnesses make up 10 percent — approximately $11 million — of university health spending.

Despite the benefits, the university will proceed cautiously with the ban.

“We are also sensitive to individual rights and realize that this ban would have to be socially enforced,” Rinehart said. “We don’t plan on hiring more police officers to give out tickets to people for smoking. We will rely on individuals to tell others about the ban.”

Other colleges with campuswide bans include the 14 Pennsylvania state-owned universities and the University of Minnesota-Duluth.