Obama lead solid in Wisconsin

Wisconsin is now considered an “Obama-leaning” state after a poll released Tuesday shows Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama making strides in five key battleground states, including Wisconsin.

CNN and Time magazine conducted a poll after last week’s vice presidential debate in Ohio, North Carolina, Indiana, New Hampshire and Wisconsin.

The poll suggests Obama is making major gains on Republican nominee John McCain in the five highly-contested areas.

In Wisconsin, Obama has taken a five-point lead, according to the poll that contacted 859 likely Wisconsin voters by telephone. While Wisconsin had been considered a toss-up so far in the election, CNN now classifies Wisconsin as “Obama-leaning.”

Obama has also taken a three-point lead in Ohio and an eight-point lead in New Hampshire, while gaining ground on Republican presidential nominee John McCain in Indiana and North Carolina. McCain leads by five points in Indiana, while North Carolina is now neck-in-neck.

Despite this recent success in the polls, Matt Lehrich, deputy communications director for Obama’s campaign, said Obama would not let up in Wisconsin.

“Wisconsin was close in the 2000 and 2004 elections,” Lehrich said. “It’s going to be close again.”

Lehrich said to stay ahead in Wisconsin, Obama’s campaign needs to continue to “talk to voters about the issues and John McCain’s willingness to continue polices that have left our economy in turmoil.”

Lehrich added that while there is a lot of work to be done before the election, he feels good about Obama’s chances in Wisconsin.

However, Kirsten Kukowski, communications director for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, isn’t concerned by the results of these polls.

“We feel that we are still within striking distance in Wisconsin,” Kukowski said. “Polls will go up and down, and we’re not worried.”

McCain and his runningmate Sarah Palin will be making multiple appearances in Wisconsin. Both will be in Waukesha on Thursday morning, after which McCain is set to make an appearance in Mosinee on Thursday afternoon and another Friday in La Crosse.

“Every time they come to Wisconsin we feel we have a chance to make headway,” added Kukowski. “We’ll see them a lot in the next few weeks, and that only puts us in a better position.”

Students for McCain Co-chair Mark Bednar echoed Kukowski’s sentiments, warning polls should be taken with a grain of salt.

“A poll can only reveal so much. Nothing is set in stone,” Bednar said. “Just like the Obama camp is not going to be satisfied with these poll numbers alone, John McCain is not afraid of them.”

Bednar said that for McCain to regain any lost ground, he needs to stress his energy viewpoints while also addressing the issues surrounding the economy, which will play a huge role in the outcome of the election.

“Whoever can address the economy best will be the real poll shifter,” Bednar added.