Snow parking fee could be doubled

In response to last year’s long winter and high number of parking fines in downtown Madison, the City Council will vote later this month on a plan that could double parking fines during snow emergencies.

The plan, which would include a $60 fine for parking offenses, might also apply a text messaging notification aimed at keeping the streets clear of cars for plowing.

The parking texts’ main purpose would be to inform citizens to remove their cars from the streets to avoid being fined, and would resemble WiscAlerts, a program launched by the University of Wisconsin this fall to send mass text messages to registered students’ cell phones in case of a safety emergency.

Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald that a group was put together last winter to look at how services could be improved for winter and snow removal. She added the plan would include “more than just raising the fines.”

Strauch-Nelson said other recommendations the group came up with included opening up a public parking lot so people will have a place to put their cars in the event of a snow emergency.

Although there is a general consensus something should be done about winter parking, Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2, said she is not in favor of doubling parking tickets.

“Even though they are making the fines consistent throughout the city — all being raised — the reality is that only the Isthmus will get ticketed because they don’t have enough staff to ticket anyone else,” Konkel said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald. “This strikes me as not being fair.”

Proposals to increase citations began last winter, when Madison was hit with record-breaking snowfalls and had about 10 snow emergencies. One of the main concerns about snow control this winter will be the ease at which plows can clear the streets.

Konkel added if towing is allowed, it would snatch another $50 out of people’s wallets in addition to the parking fee.

“It could end up costing $110 where it used to cost $30,” she said. “Those who live in the denser areas are again paying more to do the right thing by living in an urban area.”

The proposal is scheduled to be formally introduced today as part of the mayor’s 2009 capital budget.

According to Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, the vote to implement the program is scheduled for Oct. 28, and it will also address the issue of towing without notification.