Celebrating higher education day

State officials are offering Wisconsin students several events outlining the benefits of higher education, how to save money for college and what is important about financial aid programs throughout today.

This is the third annual “Higher Education Day,” declared by State Treasurer Dawn Sass who said in a statement this day would encourage students of all ages to take advantage of the higher education opportunities available throughout Wisconsin.

Secretary of State Doug La Follete will visit three Madison high schools to discuss the significance of higher education and how students can best access resources to help overcome challenges posed in today’s competitive world.

Megan Perkins, director of EdVest, Wisconsin’s college savings plan, said state officials are in a “lucky position” because they can bring things that are “important in our state” to the attention of citizens.

“They sign the proclamation every year. … They have a voice that people really listen to, so it’s sort of their obligation to help show the amazing programs that already exist and bring awareness to the things we need to work on,” Perkins said.

Events will also be held throughout the University of Wisconsin System, outlining how receiving an upper-level education is a benefit, as well as how it profits the community as a whole, Perkins added.

Conrad Clifton, professor of higher education and educational leadership at UW, said due to higher education, Wisconsin is a much “richer state” and citizens are more committed to the common good rather than solely the good of the marketplace. People are more invested in their civic responsibilities and, in turn, are less likely to cause trouble in society, Clifton said.

“We underestimate the societal benefits of having more educated citizenry and overlook the invisible benefits to the individuals who clearly lead richer and more robust lives due to their higher education,” Clifton said.

The program will draw more attention to benefits beyond being caught up in the corporate aspect of the university, he added.

Clifton said creating a designated “Higher Education Day” draws attention to how community members are able to contribute to the quality of life in Wisconsin. The events aim to highlight how a post-secondary education will help shape students into future leaders and successful workers in society.

A higher level of education provides students with essential learning skills that lay the foundation for a future successful career, and receiving an upper-level education provides students with access to more and better jobs, Clifton said.

“Our universities do some very special things, and this whole project is aimed at helping parents, teachers, students and business leaders understand that our students come out of their university education with the skills they need to be effective in the real world,” said Elaine Klein, assistant dean at the UW College of Letters and Science.

The UW Financial Aid office will host an all-day open house in the office lobby and a table at fountain plaza to distribute candy and discuss financial aid programs.

A Financial Aid 101 program will be held at the Financial Aid Education Center at 2300 S. Park St. to talk about different types of financial aid, how to apply and the value of student loans.