Two attacked near stadium

Two young men, including one University of Wisconsin student, suffered injuries after being attacked on the 100 block of North Breese Terrace early Sunday morning.

The UW student, 18, received a bump on the head, while the other man, 20, of Green Bay, suffered a concussion and a broken nose.

The incident allegedly occurred after one of them accidentally bumped into another man walking in a group of men. The group then proceeded to follow the two victims for a few minutes when one of the perpetrators tackled the 20-year-old.

Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, said criminal activity in the area is high every Saturday when there is a football game, due to underage drinking, excessive noise and public urination. Otherwise, the area is not any different from any other area in Madison.

“You have to keep your wits about you.” Webber said, adding that students need to remember to be aware of where you are, who you are with and what is going on.

According to a Madison police report, one of the perpetrators was described as a white male, 6 feet tall, 190 lbs. and wearing a blue Chicago Cubs baseball hat and a basketball jersey with the word “Antigo” across it.

The other perpetrator, who tackled the victim, was described as a white male, 5-foot-11-inches, 240 lbs. with short black hair. He was wearing a gray T-shirt.

The report said a female caller notified police at 12:30 a.m. after she heard a man walking past her say he severely injured someone.

Police arrived on the scene, but found no one. Around 1:30 a.m., the victims were admitted to a local hospital with the help of a good Samaritan.

“It would be nice if everyone helped out everywhere you go,” Webber said, noting there are always people who do the right thing and those who do not.

At the beginning of the semester, many students are living on their own for the first time and tend to forget practical safety precautions like locking doors, Webber said.

“Although we all would love to think of Madison … as a safe place, there will always be people who will take advantage of you, and you have to watch out for yourself, and you have to watch out for your friends.” Webber said.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Madison Area Crime Stoppers at 608-266-6014.