Senior class president pleads guilty for theft

The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s senior class president pled guilty Friday to misdemeanor theft of less than $2,500 at the Dane County Courthouse.

Oliver Delgado, who was elected to his office in April, admitted to stealing six Van Galder bus tickets from Memorial Union last March.

Judge Stuart Schwartz will withhold guilt while Delgado is in the first offender’s program. If he completes it, the case will be dismissed.

If he fails to do so, there will be no trial; Schwartz will accept Delgado’s guilty plea, and it will go to sentencing where he will face a maximum fine of $10,000 or nine months in jail.

Following the hearing, Delgado told The Badger Herald he wanted to move past the incident and implied others should be concentrating on more important matters.

“We’re two months away from electing a new president, and I think that should be the main issue right now,” Delgado said.

Four of the six stolen tickets were returned. There will be some sort of restitution for the two tickets that were used and not returned, according to prosecutor Timothy Kiefer.

“Some of the tickets were returned, and it’s not clear exactly what the dollar value of the loss is,” Kiefer said. “But there’s no dispute as to restitution of this; it’s just going to be figured out over at first offender’s.”

Two roundtrip tickets from Madison to O’Hare for UW students cost $74.

Van Galder tracked the missing tickets to Delgado when he tried to use one in Chicago after returning from Puerto Rico. He was asked for identification, and UW police went to Delgado’s house March 27 where he admitted to the crime.

Student Council representative and senior class president runner-up Jeff Wright said there is nothing the Associated Students of Madison can do to censure or punish Delgado.

“There’s not much action we can take,” Wright said. “It’s out of our hands to do anything to the officers in terms of disciplinary actions.”

Secretary of the Faculty David Musolf, one of the officials responsible for managing class officers, said any discipline of Delgado is out of his hands and would be left to the Offices of the Dean of Students.

Associate Dean of Students Kevin Helmkamp declined an interview with The Badger Herald last week. UW spokesperson John Lucas said any disciplinary action on the Delgado case taken through ODOS is not public information.

An editing error in the original copy was corrected.