Democrats meet in Mile High City, promising change

[media-credit name=’Herald design’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]dominant[/media-credit]DENVER — U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is the official 2008 Democratic presidential candidate and now the first black man to receive the nomination in U.S. history. Obama accepted the nomination Aug. 28 in front of 84,000 supporters at Invesco Field in Denver — the host city for the 2008 Democratic National Convention. Delegates met one day prior to cast their votes for a nominee, but before voting could be completed, former rival Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., proposed ending the roll call and unanimously nominating Obama by calling for acclamation. “Let’s declare together, in one voice, right here, right now, that Barack Obama is our candidate and he will be our president,” Clinton said, resulting in affirmative cheers throughout the arena. Marking the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, Obama’s acceptance address even gained praise from his current political rival. “How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day,” 2008 Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz, said in a television advertisement released Aug. 28. “Tomorrow, we’ll be back at it. But tonight, senator — job well done.” The four-day convention included keynote speeches from notable Democrats, including former president Bill Clinton, Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., Obama’s running mate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., and Obama’s wife Michelle. Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, also spoke at the convention Tuesday night, bringing local issues of health care and economical hardship to a national platform. **Wisconsin leaders hope for change** Doyle and U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., discussed Wisconsin’s future under an Obama administration during a state delegate breakfast on the morning of Aug. 27. According to Feingold, Obama has three essential qualities necessary to lead the country, including his skills to effectively get things done, the use of solid judgment and the ability to empathize with “what the people are going through.” “He’s not just going to rely on his personal history — both candidates have wonderful personal histories, dramatic, American stories — that’s not enough,” Feingold said. “They have to have listened to the American people.” Feingold, who co-sponsored a 2002 campaign finance reform bill with McCain, said he would not turn to personal attacks against his colleague. “I don’t believe in saying that somebody I’ve said great things about for eight years suddenly is this horrible monster,” Feingold said. “But I will tell you this: There is no contest.” Doyle said he is optimistically anticipating notable senators working together under an administration led by Obama and the changes that will occur at both the state and national level. “Can you imagine when senators like Clinton and Feingold are actually working with an administration to really deal with issues instead of fighting against an administration every single day?” Doyle asked. “Governance in Washington will change, and let me tell you, governance in Wisconsin will change.” Doyle said he is looking forward to when the excitement has settled after the presidential inauguration in January and the new administration starts “to figure out the best way to get health care to the people of the United States.” “It’s going to be a whole new era in this country and one that is going to be directed at solving problems — real problems for real people,” Doyle said. Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood, also spoke at the breakfast. Richards commended Obama’s stances on issues most relevant to women and said she looked forward to have a strong woman like Michelle Obama serving the role of first lady. “This is a man who knew well enough to marry a woman who is his equal in every way,” Richards said. “What a refreshing change that would be in the White House.” **UW students voice vote** Several University of Wisconsin students served as delegates for the convention, participating in events, speeches and ultimately casting a vote for the Democratic nominee. UW sophomore Molly Rivera appeared on the convention stage Monday night as a part of North Dakota delegate Amanda Kubik’s speech on young delegates, describing the experience as “unreal.” Rivera said Obama is inspiring young people to become more active and aware of politics. “It’s very exciting, and people should care because there’s so many new people getting involved,” Rivera said. She added Obama brings up issues relevant to young people and shows them how politics affects their lives. UW graduate Awais Khaleel, who is the nation’s youngest superdelegate — said the convention is a symbol of unity throughout the Democratic Party. “Any convention is fantastic in the sense that it brings people all over the country together from different places, perspectives, cultures, communities,” Khaleel said. Khaleel added Wisconsin had a solid presence at the convention with a reputation for putting up a strong fight during presidential elections. “They know we’re a purple state, but they know we fought to be a blue state every year, and I think we have a lot of respect for that reason,” Khaleel said. “Whatever stereotypes they had about Wisconsin, once they get to see our delegation a little bit, it all goes away.” Khaleel said being a superdelegate is a “phenomenal responsibility” and that he looked forward to including even more young delegates during the next election. UW junior and delegate Bryon Eagon said a highlight of the convention was being involved with welcoming Michelle Obama to Denver, where he got a hug and signature fist-bump from Obama’s wife. **Minimal protests in Mile High City** Security teams were ever-present in and around convention buildings and throughout the downtown Denver area, drawing police teams from across the state of Colorado. According to Marilyn Samora with the Denver Joint Information Center, the Denver Police Department worked with the Secret Service to maintain safe environment for the convention. “There is a definite sense of security here in the city, and I think that’s provided a lot of comfort for people from out of state, as well as the current residents and workers in the downtown area,” Samora said. As of midnight on Aug. 28, according to the Denver Joint Information Center, 152 DNC-related arrests had been made. A large protest took place Aug. 27 with thousands of antiwar protesters hoping to deliver a message to Obama about withdrawing troops from Iraq, but police stopped the protesters before they entered the arena. There were also multiple groups of Clinton supporters who still supported her nomination chanting “I own my vote” and “election, not selection.” Overall, attendees of the convention said they were proud to experience what they called a historical presidential nomination. “This is an incredible moment to make us all very proud and very happy, and we’re lucky to be alive at this time,” Feingold said. Eagon said he hoped to turn the energy from the convention into activism on the UW campus, adding the Democratic Party came out of the convention even stronger and more united. “It was an amazing experience to be a part of history,” Eagon said. “This convention was truly moving and inspirational and something I will always remember and be proud to say I was there.”