Falk admits errors on 911 call

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Falk_JS[/media-credit]

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk said Tuesday a better response to a call made from slain University of Wisconsin junior Brittany Zimmermann’s cell phone the day she was murdered could not have saved her life.

In a press conference, Falk admitted to several errors by the dispatcher who handled the call from Zimmermann’s phone, including missing “significant” sounds that were later heard in a detailed investigation.

As the call ended, a second “hang-up” call came in; the operator returned that call, not Zimmermann’s. The mistake led investigators to pursue two innocent men in Middleton who have been found not to be connected to Zimmermann’s case.

Falk said the report indicates there were no environmental distractions when the call was made, and that the equipment did not interfere with the dispatcher’s ability to hear the noises.

Still, authorities will not release details on the content of the call due to the ongoing investigation, and Falk refused to elaborate on why the dispatcher was unable to hear the sounds.

According to the investigation, the dispatcher inquired three times without answer, and Falk said it is unclear who disconnected the call. She said the dispatcher who handled the call has been transferred to a different county office at the employee’s own request, and a disciplinary investigation is on the works.

She also said 911 Center Director Joe Norwick “misspoke” several times during a press conference last week, but added he would not be disciplined for the errors. Falk has sent Zimmermann’s family a formal apology for the mistakes, but Norwick has neither admitted errors by the dispatch nor apologized.

Falk pointed out adjustments to the 911 Center in previous years, including a 2004 addition in staff and $1 million spent in equipment upgrade in recent years, reassuring citizens the center has highly trained personnel and up-to-date equipment.

Police Chief Noble Wray has said the contents of the call indicate police officers should have been sent to investigate the place from where the call originated.

But Falk said current investigations show tracking the call could have taken 5-30 minutes, and the most precise location provided in the dispatch would have been to 511 West Doty St., a 24-unit apartment building next to Zimmermann’s residence.

In light of the situation, Falk has recommended the 911 Center review current training and personnel qualifications. She also said when a “hang-up” call occurs, the center should immediately review the three sets of available records of the call: automatic sound recordings, automated telephone call detail records and computer-aided dispatch records created by dispatchers.

On Tuesday, Falk also asked officials to reconsider current policy that says police officials are only immediately sent if a “hang-up” call originates from a landline. She said police “do not want the protocol changed,” but added protocols should be reviewed by responsible authorities.

The Dane County Board of Supervisors is set to meet with officials Thursday to be briefed on the case and further investigate how to prevent a similar mistake in the future.