Official Mifflin arrest total up to 438, most related to booze

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Mifflin_JS[/media-credit]

The Madison Police Department reported 438 arrests at last Saturday’s Mifflin Street Block Party and still has arrests and citations to issue to Mifflin residents hosting parties in violation of the law, police officials said Monday.

Of the 438 arrested, 383 of those were cited and released, 51 were sent to the Dane County Jail and four went to the detox center.

Madison Police Capt. Mary Schauf said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald that MPD has not processed all of the information related to arrests at Mifflin.

“In the week or so past the event, we go back and issue citations based on probable cause to persons who live in the houses,” Schauf said.

Police take note of or warn houses during the block party that have loud music, overcrowded porches, serve underage visitors or raise other police concerns. Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said police tell residents they will probably come back later and issue a ticket.

In 2007, 366 people were arrested at the party, and the total number of arrests — including citations issued post-party — was 506, according to MPD Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain.

The increased arrests were not a matter of faulty publicity on behalf of the MPD, Schauf said.

“We had officers go door-to-door to speak with residents, have handed out materials and gave very specific information at the community meeting,” she said.

According to Verveer, police made a conscious decision in 2004 to have a “pro-arrest policy for most any city ordinance violation” at the block party.

In 2003, seven people were arrested and in 2004 that number jumped to 190.

“In prior years, the police decision was they would just monitor and ensure nothing got out of hand, more of a laissez-faire approach,” Verveer said. “The 2004 decision to change the face of the party came because the party is illegal in the minds of the cops.”

Unless the party has a legitimate sponsor, Verveer thinks the police will continue with their current approach.

Observers at the event said police were arresting people holding open alcohol containers with one foot on the sidewalk and one foot on private property.

Verveer said his hopes for a sponsor at Mifflin would not be anything like Madison’s Freakfest Halloween party where people are charged for entrance onto State Street.

He added he has already received numerous comments from people with sponsorship ideas.